Upgrading

4 years 11 months ago #642396 by MW
Hey all! So first off I am new to this site/forum. Secondly I am just looking for some help deciding on what to upgrade to. I currently have a Nikon D3200 and I use a Tameron zoom lens currently. I am totally okay with switching brands. Here's a list of things that I do-
- Nature photography
- Close ups/macro (flowers,bugs) 
- Birds (fast moving objects)
- I need something that can get good, close pictures from a distance so if I cant get super close to say a perched bird or a bear in the distance. (lens wise). 

I am 100% self taught and most defiantly am a beginner. I have a small budget so nothing insanely expensive. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 

4 years 11 months ago #642659 by garyrhook
Magnification and budget conflict with each other.

If you want to do nature photography (i.e. animals) from a distance, your entry point for the lens is $1100 (-ish). Tamron and Sigma make a zoom that runs 150mm - 600mm. Nikon makes a 200mm-500mm. All are decent lenses.

A newer body will buy you lower noise, but not many more pixels. There are other features you should explore on the Nikon site.

You don't say what your budget is, so I'll say this: buy used and you can save money. As for macro, you can get far using tubes, with a modest macro lens. The Tamron 90mm is a fine macro.

The great thing about Nikon is that you can use any DX or FX lens on your camera, and postpone a newer body. Always buy the best glass you can afford, and buy full frame glass if you think you'll ever consider an FX body.

Just sayin'.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024