Camera or lens?

2 months 3 weeks ago #646127 by kevinnylen2002
Hello! New to the forum and am looking for feedback/advice. 

I am considering either a new lens or a new camera for an upcoming trip to the Rockies, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. 
I currently have a Nikon D7000 and my main lens is a 17-55 2.8. I know that I will need more reach in the mountains, especially for wildlife. I can get a refurbished Nikon 200-500 (or similar superzoom). Or I could get a bridge camera/superzoom.  I understand that there are plusses/minuses to each. What do you all think?

I'm a seasoned amateur in terms of my skills/ability, in case anyone is wondering. 

Thanks in advance. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #646131 by Nikon Shooter
Welcome Kevin! :P

The refurbished Nikon 200-500 is a very good
possible option!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

2 months 3 weeks ago #646143 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kevin

Also a "Welcome" to the forum ... you'll find us a keen mob of 'togs who are willing to 'confuse' you with the best advice :)

Seriously -- as NS says the big nikon zoom is an excellent lens for wildlife work
The part of the question you have also asked about 'bridge camera-superzoom' is what I will respond to ~ as I use them all the time

There are plenty of advantages - and a few disadvantages - with the choice & use of a small-sensor camera and only you can decide if it will work for you.  For me, I have used Fuji + Canon + Olympus + Panasonic superzooms and settled on Panasonic, specifically the FZ-300 in current models.  Panny have IMO been particularly smart in restricting the sensor to 12mpx to minimise unnecessary noise, and the 24x zoom lens - in film-camera terms covers the 24mm to 600mm range. It also makes a big difference in that the lens is a 'constant-aperture' lens which does not stop down the aperture while zooming ~ a feature usually found only on expensive, dSLR pro lenses

For me, someone who is mobile most of the time, size and weight is critical.  When I go bushwalking, to have a small but powerful camera on my shoulder is fabulous.  To be able to pause a moment - zoom out to 500mm or so - click onto a bird of wild animal that might be up to 100yards away and fill the frame with it, outweighs the issues about 'small sensor vs larger sensor'

Here's a sample -
img\def

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this Fujifilm X100F review, learn about its essential features and specs, its pros and cons, and where you can pick one up for a great price.

Aug 16, 2019

The Nikon D500 might be several years old, but it's still a highly capable camera. In this Nikon D500 review, learn why it's still a good investment in 2019.

Aug 16, 2019

In this Nikon Z 14-30mm f/4 S review, learn about its specs, features, build quality, handling, price, and more.

Aug 13, 2019

The Fujifilm X-T2 might be three years old, but it's still a highly capable camera with specs and features that will suit just about any photographer in 2019.

Aug 12, 2019

Latest Articles

Sure, photography gear is expensive, but with these top gifts for photographers under $100, you can get your loved one an awesome gift without breaking the bank!

Aug 23, 2019

Photo by Martin dela Nougerede, UCL MSSL I was listening to a podcast the other day where I found out that there is a group of scientists (astrophysicists,...

Aug 23, 2019

If you're in the market for a gear upgrade, be sure you learn what to check when buying a used camera before you drop any cash on a new-to-you camera.

Aug 22, 2019

Where can you see the northern lights? All over the Northern Hemisphere...but the locations listed here are among the best sites to take in the view of the northern lights.

Aug 22, 2019

Shopping for photography insurance isn't exactly an excited venture, but with the best photography insurance companies of 2019/2020, you can at least get affordable coverage you need quickly and easily!

Aug 21, 2019

With a big budget, there's no end to what you can give your favorite photographer this holiday season. See what some of the best gifts for photographers under $2,500 are in 2019!

Aug 20, 2019

Photography clients can be hard to find and even harder to keep, but with these photography business tips, you'll learn how to retain clients for the long-term.

Aug 20, 2019

Though being a new photographer means you probably have a ton of questions, there are some beginner photography questions that professionals are tired of hearing.

Aug 19, 2019