Camera or lens?

4 years 10 months ago #646127 by kevinnylen2002
Hello! New to the forum and am looking for feedback/advice. 

I am considering either a new lens or a new camera for an upcoming trip to the Rockies, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. 
I currently have a Nikon D7000 and my main lens is a 17-55 2.8. I know that I will need more reach in the mountains, especially for wildlife. I can get a refurbished Nikon 200-500 (or similar superzoom). Or I could get a bridge camera/superzoom.  I understand that there are plusses/minuses to each. What do you all think?

I'm a seasoned amateur in terms of my skills/ability, in case anyone is wondering. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 years 10 months ago #646131 by Nikon Shooter
Welcome Kevin! :P

The refurbished Nikon 200-500 is a very good
possible option!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #646143 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Kevin

Also a "Welcome" to the forum ... you'll find us a keen mob of 'togs who are willing to 'confuse' you with the best advice :)

Seriously -- as NS says the big nikon zoom is an excellent lens for wildlife work
The part of the question you have also asked about 'bridge camera-superzoom' is what I will respond to ~ as I use them all the time

There are plenty of advantages - and a few disadvantages - with the choice & use of a small-sensor camera and only you can decide if it will work for you.  For me, I have used Fuji + Canon + Olympus + Panasonic superzooms and settled on Panasonic, specifically the FZ-300 in current models.  Panny have IMO been particularly smart in restricting the sensor to 12mpx to minimise unnecessary noise, and the 24x zoom lens - in film-camera terms covers the 24mm to 600mm range. It also makes a big difference in that the lens is a 'constant-aperture' lens which does not stop down the aperture while zooming ~ a feature usually found only on expensive, dSLR pro lenses

For me, someone who is mobile most of the time, size and weight is critical.  When I go bushwalking, to have a small but powerful camera on my shoulder is fabulous.  To be able to pause a moment - zoom out to 500mm or so - click onto a bird of wild animal that might be up to 100yards away and fill the frame with it, outweighs the issues about 'small sensor vs larger sensor'

Here's a sample -
img\def

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024