Buying into an Ecosystem and need Advice

4 years 7 months ago #657665 by rask4p
Hi Everyone!

I'm about to step up my game and get into a mirrorless body with no prior glass commitments.  I'm a hobbyist, but I love photography and want to be able to get more camera than I can currently use and grow into it.  My budget is ~$1.5k and while that puts me in a certain bracket, I want to make it clear, I will almost certainly stay in the same ecosystem forever as this will almost certainly always be a hobby.  Given that, I've got two real categories, APS-C or Full Frame, that will define my photos forever, but as a hobbyist I don't know how to get into full frame bodies without breaking the bank.  I expect to accumulate glass over the years and will likely budget $300-800 per year for new gear and I'm at a loss as to whether the initial choice of a crop or a full frame.

As a side note, I'm likely looking at the Sony line, because I think the auto focus they have will give me the best results as I grow and, while they strike me as a company with bad customer service, they seem to have a superior product at the moment.  In the past I have used Nikon glass in other optic applications, but regardless, I will welcome advice on the mount as well as the sensor!

Thanks!

4 years 7 months ago #657738 by garyrhook
Personally, I think it's too early to get into the Nikon or Canon mirrorless systems. And either of them will set you back most of your budget for the body alone. Sony has offerings that fit your budget.

I know plenty of folks that have gone with Sony, and are happy.

What you really need to do is go to a camera store and hold the candidates. You need to use them, check out their menus and how the operate, and feel them. The camera you want is the one you can't put down. All of the choice have good glass (it's really a matter of budget there, too) so IMO that's a non-issue. And some systems allow for adapters for 3rd-party lenses. There are options.

Also, if you're willing to go with a DSLR for now, with plans to change out the body in the future, you can look at any system as long as you consider your growth path. You can buy used, too, to save some money.

You haven't really clarified your goals, or your subjects of interest.

You could also look at micro 4/3s.

There will always be constant improvement in the technology.

Does an AF system matter as much as being able to use it well?

Have you thought about processing your photos? That will be a portion of your budget, too.

I'll stop there.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657743 by rask4p
Thanks, I appreciate the response! 

Initially I'm looking to be able to shoot portrait and nature out to about 10 yards, no plans of landscapes or anything particularly requiring telephoto in the immediate future.  I use lightroom already, so that will not be additional to my budget.

I can narrow things down a bit based on the research that I've done already.  I'm looking at either the a6400/6600 (I expect the 6400 to be a screaming good deal used when the 6600 releases) and ~2 lenses or bump up the budget to get a used a7iii and something more than a lens cap on it.  Given that I expect to spend 300-800 a year on photography, I'm not sure if going to the a7iii will ever really pay off given how much farther the money gets me in the APS-C world.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #657753 by Shadowfixer1
If the 1500 is for the camera body alone and you're looking at Sony, then buying the A7III used is a no brainer. If you can't swing that much for the body then the A6400 would be a good choice as well. You may want buy full frame glass for it so you will be ready when or if you plan to upgrade the body to full frame. If you prefer Canon's color science then you can get the Canon RP or a used Canon R. The people I know that have them love them. If you prefer Nikon, then look for a used Z6. It's a very nice camera. I personally got tired of the size and weight of these cameras 5 years ago and I use the Olympus OMD E-M1 MKII. It's a very good camera and the shortcomings are few. Your budget is the limiting factor here. There are lots of good choices.
4 years 7 months ago #657897 by rask4p
Good point about buying the full frame glass even if I end up with a crop camera!  I think, given my current budget, the a6400 used plus glass makes the most sense and then upgrade to a full frame body when I've got enough glass to support it.  Might be able to get a prime for portraits if I go that route and I think the a6400 will be a great deal used once the a6600s hit the market.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024