from APS-C to full-frame

4 years 3 months ago #671028 by amatula
Hi!
I have had a Canon Rebel SL1 with a 24 mm F2.8 IS lens which I use predominantly for landscape and next, travel.

I love it, but I have thought to upgrade to full-frame so I can capture more shadow areas and more detail.

I have a chance to purchase a used Canon 5D Mark II camera from a camera store where I live for $6oo.  It is heavy I acknowledge and older but I do not feel I need the "latest and greatest."

I am thinking too a F2.8 zoom lens in the range of 15 - 85 would be just what I need.

But I am also a travel photographer so don't really want to haul around heavy/bulky gear traveling and hiking and wondering if there are any other options available for full-frame (or mirror).

And because I travel, I don't want to spend the money full the best/most professional cameras (but I would buy high quality used from a camera store).

If you have a camera (any manufacturer!) and lens that you love for travel and landscape (with image stabilization), can you share, along with the lens?

Thank you for your time and happy New Year!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671042 by garyrhook
Budget?

You are correct that a larger sensor will help get more detail in the extremes of the dynamic range. But frankly, a used Nikon D700 would be a better choice than the 5D mk II (and both are heavy). And if your budget is modest, your only choice for mirrorless with larger sensors is Sony. Otherwise, you're looking at micro four thirds, where there are a lot of choices there in both bodies and lenses.

You don't need an f/2.8 lens for landscapes, and you hardly need it for travel. f/4 would, with a decent body, get you everything you need, excepting dark environments.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 3 months ago #671126 by amatula
Thank you, Gary,
I appreciate the reply.
Out of curiosity, why do you think the Nikon D700 (at 12.1 mp) is a better choice than the D5 Mark II (21 mp)?

I do not mind buying used from a dealer... I get the best of both worlds then: a better camera and a good price :)

Happy New Year!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671130 by Nikon Shooter
When I go low light, my workhorse will always be
full-frame and 12 or maybe 24 MP… the argument
of larger pixels still holds the road. My experience.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671148 by garyrhook
I've used both of those bodies, and the D700 performs beautifully in low light. I can't say the same for the mk II (in my not-so-humble opinion). The D700 has very fat pixels that handle challenging situations very well.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672134 by Kenta
D700 is a landscape photographers work horse.  Can't go wrong with that camera.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672237 by amatula
Hi Kenta,
That's very interesting that you mentioned that! I had also been considering a used Nikon D610 that a local photography store has and just surfed for more info on the D700. I also looked at a used Canon 5D Mark II.
Hoping I can demo a few.
Thanks again!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680511 by 7Wishes
If you haven't yet decided you may find this link useful, it gives a side by side comparison of both the D700 and 5D Mark 2 cameradecision.com/compare/Nikon-D700-vs-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II  

3 years 2 months ago #708409 by TCav
'Full Frame' bodies really have only a few advantages over 'APS-C' bodies, and they're not that significant. There is a lot of myth, lore and misinformation on the subject, and I find it frustrating that so much of it persists. This is my attempt to clear up some of it.

A larger image sensor provides a more shallow Depth of Field for images with the same perspective. For instance, a 'Full Frame' body with a 105mm lens and an 'APS-C' body with a 70mm lens, will produce almost identical images with almost identical perspectives. But with an aperture of f/2.8 and a subject distance of 10 feet, the 'Full Frame' body will get a total DoF of 0.45 feet while the 'APS-C' body will get a total DoF of 0.69 feet, which is about what the 'Full Frame' body would get with an aperture of f/4.0. If the 'Full Frame' body was using a 24-70/2.8 lens and the 'APS-C' body was using a 17-50/2.8 lens, they would both be capable of almost identical images, but with an aperture of f/2.8 and a subject distance of 7 feet, the 'Full Frame' body would have a DoF of 0.5 feet and the 'APS-C' body would have a DoF of 0.66 feet, about what the 'Full Frame' body would get with an aperture of f/4.0. And if the 'Full Frame' body was using a 70-300 lens and the 'APS-C' body was using a 55-200 lens, they could both produce nearly identical images, but at f/5.6 and a subject distance of 100 feet, the 'Full Frame' body produces a DoF of 11.4 feet, while the 'APS-C' body produces a DoF of 17.3 feet, about what the 'Full Frame' body would get using an aperture of f/8.0. So the difference in Depth of Field is only about a single stop.

A larger sensor performs better than a smaller one, but few attempts have been made to quantify the difference. DxOMark.com performs a series of measurements on many cameras, and publishes the results on its website in such a way that the results from different cameras can be compared. It publishes a lot of "scores" and other values that seem to be actual measurements, but the only two that are direct measurements are for SNR 18% (signal to noise ratio) and Dynamic Range (the luminance range, from brightest to dimmest.)

The results show that, for instance, the level of image noise of Canon's 'APS-C' 7D Mk II is 35.5 dB at an ISO setting of 400, while the 'Full Frame' 6D scores 36.2 dB at ISO 800 and 33.4 dB at ISO 1600. That works out to the 'Full Frame' 6D having about a 1-1/3 stop advantage over the 7D Mk II with respect to noise. Similarly, the dynamic range of the 7D Mk II at ISO 400 is 11.39 Ev, while the 6D scores 11.55 Ev at ISO 800 and 11.12 Ev at ISO 1600, giving a 1-1/2 stop advantage over the 7D Mk II . (See Canon EOS 7D Mark II versus Canon EOS 6D)

Nikon's 'APS-C' D7200 scores a SNR 18% of 33.7 dB and a dynamic range of 11.89 Ev at ISO 800, which gives Nikon's 'Full Frame' D610 a little over a one stop advantage in noise and about 1/3 stop advantage in dynamic range. (See Nikon D7200 versus Nikon D610) In addition, Sony's 'APS-C' A77 Mk II scores 35.6 dB and 11.52 Ev at ISO 400, roughly 1 stop behind Sony's 'Full Frame' A99, in both measurements. (See Sony SLT Alpha 77 II versus Sony SLT Alpha 99) So there is certainly a promise of improved image quality with larger image sensors.

One of the advantages of 'APS-C' bodies over 'Full Frame' bodies, though, is the abundance of lenses, both 'Full Frame' and 'APS-C only' ('EF-S', 'DX', 'DT', 'DA', 'DC', 'Di-II'), and one of the disadvantages 'Full Frame' bodies have, when compared to 'APS-C' bodies, is that many 'Full Frame' lenses exhibit additional vignetting, distortion, transverse chromatic aberration and/or field curvature that don't appear when those same lenses are mounted on 'APS-C' bodies.

So while a 'Full Frame' body may be capable of better image quality, the lenses may have trouble delivering it.

It's your call, of course, but the advantages are not nearly as great as I've heard some say, and I think you should know exactly what you'd be getting yourself into. If you need the slightly more shallow DoF, the slightly lower noise, and/or the slightly greater dynamic range, and you can find an appropriate lens or lenses from the limited selection, to give you the results you want, I hope it works out well for you.

But there's very little you can't do with a smaller, lighter, cheaper 'APS-C' kit.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024