Can I get a good Digital SLR for under $700?

13 years 7 months ago #69 by PMurphy
Right now I have a Sony Cybershot point and shoot compact camera. I would like to get a digital SLR, but don't know which to get. I would like to get a body and at least one lens for under $700. What options do I have?

Thank you so much!

Paris

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16193 by Baydream
Of course you can. Go to a site like B&H, select digital SLR, click the price range, and see the list. Each item often has "user reviews" and comments. All are available with a "kit lens" zoom that is adequate it get started. Good luck and happy shooting.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16202 by Solstar
You definitely have options and Baydream has pointed you in the right direction. Depending on your needs/wants you might consider getting used equipment as well to stretch the budget especially for lens or tripod.

13 years 3 months ago #16206 by McBeth Photography
KEH.com is a very solid used camera dealer. One thing to think about is buying a used body with more features and versitility than some of the newer "lower end" cameras. One of the reasons that I bought a Nikon D70 two years ago was on the advice of my friend at the local camera store, this advice cost him the commision on the sale of a brand new Nikon D60 outfit.

Why did I choose a 5 year old camera body to start photography? Simple, lens availability. The D70 and D80 as well as the D90 can use and autofocus with the entire AF lens line, which avails the user to 25 years of Nikon AF lenses.....Quite a selection. Here's a link to KEH.com for a clean D80 body below........

www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Camera-...-DN029990949930?r=FE

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #16214 by Screamin Scott
I also recommend KEH for used cameras. They are very conservative in their grading plus you get a limited warranty (unlike eBay)...I bought a "bargain" Nikon FE2 from them several years back & when I received it, it looked like many on eBay listed as "mint"...That said, newer DSLR's will have better ISO sensitivity & other features the older models don't . I shoot with a D70s also, but that is due to financial constraints. although it's the photographer that makes the photos, not the camera...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: McBeth Photography
13 years 3 months ago #16469 by Stealthy Ninja
550D and kit lens perhaps?
13 years 3 months ago #16481 by Baydream
AKA T2i. Is that right.
Numbers seem to confuse me and most ads list that way.
With that you also get the High Def movie feature. Good choice.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #16591 by Stealthy Ninja
I don't know... 550D is the latest one. I wish Canon would just do the numbers for all over the world. Makes much more sense than T2i etc.
13 years 3 months ago #16715 by McBeth Photography
T2i is a great unit as well!

It is what it is.
13 years 3 months ago #16719 by photobod
I took a look at the KEH site, it looks realy good,saw some thbings on there that interest me, if you are looking for something for under $700 then this looks the place, a lot of people on here seem to be saying its got a good reputation and that counts for a lot. as for what camera to get, I would go to a camera review site, just google it, and browse through a few, you have to think about what type of photography you want to get into, research is a valuable thing so do it.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

13 years 3 months ago #16730 by Baydream
I checked, it is the T2i.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #17125 by Stealthy Ninja

Baydream wrote: I checked, it is the T2i.

K yeah that camera IMHO is a bit better than the D3100 (and I shoot Nikon).
13 years 3 months ago #19638 by softlighting
I got a Nikkon D80, 18-135mm lens im trying to get rid of. Make me an offer. I have a paypal acct. [email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024