What size are your photos that you are uploading to the web?

12 years 8 months ago #125637 by Fiesta!
I'm going through my gallery this weekend and would like to start uploading some new photos online. I'm wondering what size are you cropping/resizing your photos? 1000 pixels at longest end good? What are you setting your quality at?

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125641 by Baydream
I use no greater than 640,

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago #125643 by fotozone
I resize mine to 800 but that is so they can be unloaded to multiple sites if I choice. It is not to large for facebook or a couple of other photo sharing sites I occasionally post to. That is why I am so careful with my water marks I am not concerned about the members of this site but facebook well that is another story.
12 years 8 months ago #125695 by Shadowfixer1
800 on the long side for me as well.
12 years 8 months ago #125742 by KCook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #125800 by John Landolfi
For ease of uploading and to discourage would-be downloaders, I bring the rtesolution down to 72ppi (Thanks for the suggestion, Jan)

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #125802 by MLKstudios
The resolution setting has no affect on the web. Their screen determines resolution. The only numbers that matter are the pixel dimensions -- and the quality setting if you have that option.

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 8 months ago #125875 by robbie
800 on the long side plus as low as 5 on Quality depending on the file size about 100-150 kb.

12 years 8 months ago #125893 by DestinDave
Generally no larger than 600px for the vertical and/or 800px for the horizontal.. and 72ppi.. quality level to keep image size under 130K..

Dave Speicher
I thought I wanted a career.. turns out I only wanted paychecks.
dlspeicher.zenfolio.com

12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126039 by MLKstudios
Still don't believe me? The magic 72 number comes from Mac screens long ago. They matched it to font sizes, for using PageMaker software. You could use serif and other fine fonts in your printing. IBM was using dot matrix type printers for business.

New screens have more than 72 ppi. Over 100 usually. That determines how BIG the picture will be viewed.

Anyway, save an 800 pixel image at 72 dpi and another at 300 dpi, and upload them both to the web. They'll both be exactly the same size.

Only the print view changes. Actual pixel view stays the same.

:)

BTW I didn't come here to make anyone feel bad. Just to clear up some online fallacies. We all have some bad "crumbs" floating around our heads. The net is full of them.

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126111 by KCook

The magic 72 number comes from Mac screens long ago. They matched it to font sizes, for using PageMaker software.

Kool! I wus wondering where the old 72 came from. This setting seems totally irrelevant today, to me at least.

Back to the topic: now that HD displays are the rule, I think it's the height of the image that is critical, no longer the width. Few images have a greater aspect ratio than 16:9. Set that image to the best height and you get a perfect screen fit. Set a 1:1 image to the best height and it easily fits inside the screen width, still without vertical scroll bars. Ferget about width, HD is a new age.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

12 years 8 months ago #126119 by MLKstudios
Great observation, Kelly!!

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

12 years 8 months ago #126219 by Henry Peach
I like 600 to 800 pixels on the longest dimension. Jpeg quality level 8. I usually end up with a file under 200k. I don't bother changing ppi. As MLK said as long as I've changed the pixel dimensions it doesn't matter what ppi/dpi is.
12 years 8 months ago #126359 by John Landolfi

MLKstudios wrote: Still don't believe me? The magic 72 number comes from Mac screens long ago. They matched it to font sizes, for using PageMaker software. You could use serif and other fine fonts in your printing. IBM was using dot matrix type printers for business.

New screens have more than 72 ppi. Over 100 usually. That determines how BIG the picture will be viewed.

Anyway, save an 800 pixel image at 72 dpi and another at 300 dpi, and upload them both to the web. They'll both be exactly the same size.

Only the print view changes. Actual pixel view stays the same.

:)
BTW I didn't come here to make anyone feel bad. Just to clear up some online fallacies. We all have some bad "crumbs" floating around our heads. The net is full of them.

Just trying to understand better Mathhew. I save my edited PSD as a jpeg, which I then "save for the web" (CS5) by setting the resolution at 72ppi. It produces a very small file that displays as large as PT allows, with minimal scrolling for the enlarged size. Seems to work, and is simple;)

Photo Comments
12 years 8 months ago - 12 years 8 months ago #126382 by MLKstudios
If that works, that's fine. But again, your dpi/ppi setting is irrelevant. The ONLY numbers that matter (on the web) are the pixel dimensions (and the quality setting, which controls the file size, via the "quality").

Matthew :)

Matthew L Kees
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024