Scan multiple photos at once!?!

9 years 13 hours ago #193703 by L44Loo
I have decided to tackle a project which I have been meaning to do forever. I want to scan hundreds of photos and get rid of all my photo albums.

I do not want to send my pictures to one of those services. Personally I do not want my pictures in the hands of some strangers who will edit and see each one. I would love to just do it myself at home over several nights.

Some of you people MUST have done this. Has anyone figured out how to reliably and efficiently scan hundreds of old photos?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 13 hours ago #193707 by Baydream
When I had a slow scanner, I tried scanning 4 to 6 at a time. The drawback was that to get individual photos, I had to crop and "save as" multiple times. What a pain.
Sort them in to categories and tackle a cat at a time. Then the "set up" is less in the naming process. Check out the photo scanner from sponsor Wolverine. It might speed your process considerably.
secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?S...ls&Store_Code=T00107
Bonus - the unit also sans slides and negs and operates withour being connected to a computer.
Check the vender discounts under the "Classified" tab at the top of this page.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments

9 years 13 hours ago #193708 by Ogy55
I just went out and bought a flatbed scanner. Yes I did several at a time and scanned/saved to a TIFF format. It was in the $250 range.

It was completely manual and lots of time/work involved. I do not know if there are better/faster way (there likely are), but I did not know any better.

I understand about you not wanting others to have possession of your irreplaceables.

Perhaps some research on scanners is your next step?

9 years 13 hours ago #193709 by L44Loo
With a flatbed scanner... and 3 pictures per scan... that is 333 scans! plus then editing to cut them apart.

That will take literally hours.

I want one that can feed pictures automatically like 25 at a time.

I know there are a couple options out there... but has anyone used any of the succesfully?

9 years 13 hours ago #193710 by L44Loo

Baydream wrote: When I had a slow scanner, I tried scanning 4 to 6 at a time. The drawback was that to get individual photos, I had to crop and "save as" multiple times. What a pain.
Sort them in to categories and tackle a cat at a time. Then the "set up" is less in the naming process. Check out the photo scanner from sponsor Wolverine. It might speed your process considerably.
secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?S...ls&Store_Code=T00107
Bonus - the unit also sans slides and negs and operates withour being connected to a computer.
Check the vender discounts under the "Classified" tab at the top of this page.

Thanks I'll check out the link

9 years 13 hours ago #193711 by Dan13lle
If you have thousands of photos, do yourself a favor and take it to a lab and pay them to do it for you. No way, I would have the patience to scan that many.

9 years 9 hours ago #193791 by shelland
On my Canon multi-function printer, using the software that came with it I can scan multiple pictures at a time and it recognizes them all individually.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

9 years 8 hours ago #193828 by Henry Peach

shelland wrote: On my Canon multi-function printer, using the software that came with it I can scan multiple pictures at a time and it recognizes them all individually.

I would think that would be important if using any auto-processing software. If the software can't differentiate among the photos on the scanner bed rather than optimizing processing for a particular photo it might average all of them together. For instance if one photo is higher contrast than another, or has a different color cast, or amount of grain/noise.

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

The Sony a6100 has been out for over a year now. In this long-term Sony a6100 review, learn all about its features, specs, price, and more.

Jan 13, 2021

The Panasonic G85 might be a few years old, but it still has the specs and features to make it a highly useful camera. Get all the details in this Panasonic G85 review.

Jan 12, 2021

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 I is pushing eight years old, but for budget-minded photographers, it represents excellent value in 2021.

Jan 08, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these basic photography tips, you'll learn about four exciting ways to print your photos that will help you bring your images to life.

Jan 22, 2021

There are plenty of reasons why you should use a teleprompter, not the least of which is to have better eye contact with the camera.

Jan 21, 2021

Learn how to get more leads by optimizing your website and making it as user-friendly as possible. More leads equals more business, so this is an easy way to boost your bottom line.

Jan 19, 2021

Use these simple mobile photography tips to get better results whether you have an iPhone or an Android device.

Jan 19, 2021

Text messaging for business can help you in many ways, from keeping in touch with clients to sending invoices to get paid. Learn other benefits in this photography business guide.

Jan 18, 2021

In this FujiFilm X-A7 review, learn why this camera is an excellent entry-level option for beginner photographers.

Jan 18, 2021

Not everyone is comfortable in front of the camera, but with these portrait photography tips, you'll learn surefire ways to help models relax and have fun.

Jan 18, 2021

It's easy to be inspired in photography, but sometimes you need some photography exercises to regain that creativity. Learn a few creative photography ideas in this guide.

Jan 18, 2021