Scan multiple photos at once!?!

12 years 2 months ago #193703 by L44Loo
I have decided to tackle a project which I have been meaning to do forever. I want to scan hundreds of photos and get rid of all my photo albums.

I do not want to send my pictures to one of those services. Personally I do not want my pictures in the hands of some strangers who will edit and see each one. I would love to just do it myself at home over several nights.

Some of you people MUST have done this. Has anyone figured out how to reliably and efficiently scan hundreds of old photos?

12 years 2 months ago #193707 by Baydream
When I had a slow scanner, I tried scanning 4 to 6 at a time. The drawback was that to get individual photos, I had to crop and "save as" multiple times. What a pain.
Sort them in to categories and tackle a cat at a time. Then the "set up" is less in the naming process. Check out the photo scanner from sponsor Wolverine. It might speed your process considerably.
secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?S...ls&Store_Code=T00107
Bonus - the unit also sans slides and negs and operates withour being connected to a computer.
Check the vender discounts under the "Classified" tab at the top of this page.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
12 years 2 months ago #193708 by Ogy55
I just went out and bought a flatbed scanner. Yes I did several at a time and scanned/saved to a TIFF format. It was in the $250 range.

It was completely manual and lots of time/work involved. I do not know if there are better/faster way (there likely are), but I did not know any better.

I understand about you not wanting others to have possession of your irreplaceables.

Perhaps some research on scanners is your next step?

12 years 2 months ago #193709 by L44Loo
With a flatbed scanner... and 3 pictures per scan... that is 333 scans! plus then editing to cut them apart.

That will take literally hours.

I want one that can feed pictures automatically like 25 at a time.

I know there are a couple options out there... but has anyone used any of the succesfully?

12 years 2 months ago #193710 by L44Loo

Baydream wrote: When I had a slow scanner, I tried scanning 4 to 6 at a time. The drawback was that to get individual photos, I had to crop and "save as" multiple times. What a pain.
Sort them in to categories and tackle a cat at a time. Then the "set up" is less in the naming process. Check out the photo scanner from sponsor Wolverine. It might speed your process considerably.
secure.serverlab.net/shop/merchant.mvc?S...ls&Store_Code=T00107
Bonus - the unit also sans slides and negs and operates withour being connected to a computer.
Check the vender discounts under the "Classified" tab at the top of this page.

Thanks I'll check out the link

12 years 2 months ago #193711 by Dan13lle
If you have thousands of photos, do yourself a favor and take it to a lab and pay them to do it for you. No way, I would have the patience to scan that many.

12 years 2 months ago #193791 by shelland
On my Canon multi-function printer, using the software that came with it I can scan multiple pictures at a time and it recognizes them all individually.

Scott

- Twin Cities, MN

12 years 2 months ago #193828 by Henry Peach

shelland wrote: On my Canon multi-function printer, using the software that came with it I can scan multiple pictures at a time and it recognizes them all individually.

I would think that would be important if using any auto-processing software. If the software can't differentiate among the photos on the scanner bed rather than optimizing processing for a particular photo it might average all of them together. For instance if one photo is higher contrast than another, or has a different color cast, or amount of grain/noise.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024