Textures?

11 years 5 months ago #257159 by Leilanee
I'm a bit of a texture freak, but I'm also super cheap. Does anyone else here use textures? Do you know any good places to find free ones, or do all the good ones come with a hefty price-tag?

11 years 5 months ago #257160 by butterflygirl921
What do you mean by textures? What are they?

11 years 5 months ago #257162 by Leilanee
Here's one of Jessica Drossin 's free textures:

...When you put it into a photo with a blending option, it can have a pretty neat effect on the tones or general image in a photo.

I used that texture in this photo:

And I've just recently started using them in portraits (I still have a lot to learn about using them, but they're tons of fun to play around with):

Attachments:
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #257164 by pinoldy
You can make your own. Just take photos of interesting surfaces and edit them to get the texture you want.

Also, there are three on-line editors I know of where you can find free textures. Picmonkey, ipiccy and Ribbet all have textures that you can apply to your photos if you edit them there, or you can copy their textures into your own photo files and use them if you prefer to use photo-shop or the like.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leilanee
11 years 5 months ago #257165 by Leilanee
Oh boy do I wish I was creative enough to make my own! Haha!

Thanks! I'll try it out.

11 years 5 months ago #257168 by hghlndr6

Leilanee wrote: Oh boy do I wish I was creative enough to make my own! Haha!

Thanks! I'll try it out.

Shoot a big tree for its bark.
Shoot a brick wall.
Shoot a concrete wall or sidewalk
Shoot the surface of a lake when the wind is making ripples.
Shoot grass.
Shoot the sky & clouds.
Shoot a loose weave fabric
Shoot a ribbed fabric.
You get the idea ... I'm sure you can think of lots more. ;)
11 years 5 months ago #257171 by Leilanee
The issue with me isn't so much the textures themselves, but the filters to make them sufficient for use as an enhancer. I've tried simply using photos of different natural things (Like, yes, the brick wall, or cracked cement, or even a pond or stream with simple foliage) but they never get the effect I like because the tones are too invasive in one sense, and too bland in another.

For this reason I like designs like the ones Jessica Drossin (who I linked to above) uses, but her packages are around $40 each, which seems a lot for something like that.

11 years 5 months ago #257181 by pinoldy
I got one in the car wash today of the stop light glowing through water. Don't know how I'll use it yet, but I like the look of it.

11 years 5 months ago #257182 by Leilanee

pinoldy wrote: I got one in the car wash today of the stop light glowing through water. Don't know how I'll use it yet, but I like the look of it.

That sounds neat!

11 years 3 months ago #263147 by Leilanee
Thought I'd get back on this topic and post a couple photos I've played around with recently...
This type of art is super subjective - I've seen a lot of people who hate this level of post-processing, or the look itself, and I've seen people who love it, but I thought I'd give it a shot myself.

Just a couple self-portraits I did with excessive use of textures. I understand that some people do not agree with this look but art is art and I thought I'd share.

Attachments:
11 years 3 months ago #263179 by Pixelchix
Love the second picture. I too really like textures and have gotten some off of flickr. Most just ask that you credit them.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024