Editing Challenge

9 years 9 months ago #390225 by garyrhook
So, on Instagram I ran across a photographer that decided to post some images and have an editing contest. Chris Burkard is a Sony Ambassador, so I thought I'd take a few of the RAW files and see what I could do.  Here are the SOOC (rendered by LR) images followed by my version. I don't have much experience taking someone else's work (aside from 5 minute edits to illustrate a point) and "fixing" it so I would appreciate any feedback or comments re: hit or miss.

I was rather surprised at how blurry the originals are. I'm guessing these were throw-aways.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390412 by Photo Junky
Got to love RAW files and the information you have access too.  I think you did a great job on these.  #1 and #3 I would easily say jump out the most to me.  

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390418 by Scotty
I'll jump in later tonight.

*space reserved for edits*

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390422 by JeremyS
Ha.. Gary you always make me jealous at the editing you can do. I can't think of anything that would make them better. Good job on the edits!

9 years 9 months ago #390566 by CanonKid
I'm really digging your first edit, that shot really sparks for me.  

Canon 7D, 15-85mm, 18-55mm, 70-200mm, 100mm Macro, Sigma 120-300mm, Speedlite 430EX II

A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390605 by ubookoo
Love the third image! Great job!!

From now on, I Gotta Go RAW!!

9 years 9 months ago #390606 by Scotty
Gary, I'm a fan of number 3.  Do you have a link to these raws?

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390614 by garyrhook
Thanks all!

I think you can get to them here without subscribing to his FB page or newsletter.  The link leads to a page that was a bit too clever for me; look for the download icon at the top get the images downloaded.

I think I liked #3 the most even though the focus is off. Both it & #1 suffer from camera shake. #2 doesn't have any foreground interest, there's no texture to the clouds, and the whole thing is rather monotonal. It was the biggest challenge for me.

#1 could be a great image if not for the blown-out sky and rampant blur. I can only conclude these were throwaway images. A fun exercise nonetheless.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390658 by icepics
I agree there seems to be some shake/blur or something going on, and the exposures seem off. I'm thinking the camera's meter was reading the light in the background not what was being photographed (which can be tricky). I think the edits ended up looking somewhat over sharpened or overdone trying to correct for all of that. It's one thing to edit to enhance a photo, but if there's a need to edit to salvage a photo then it would help to get a proper exposure (and not so much blur or shake etc.) to have to fix later.

Sharon
Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390686 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: I agree there seems to be some shake/blur or something going on, and the exposures seem off. I'm thinking the camera's meter was reading the light in the background not what was being photographed (which can be tricky). I think the edits ended up looking somewhat over sharpened or overdone trying to correct for all of that. It's one thing to edit to enhance a photo, but if there's a need to edit to salvage a photo then it would help to get a proper exposure (and not so much blur or shake etc.) to have to fix later.

Well, salvaging wasn't really the point of the exercise, AFAIK. And the exposure doesn't "seem" off, it is off. That's why I said these were probably throwaways.

As for sharpening, what I call crisp others think is over-sharpened. What others celebrate as "the look of film" I find soft and uninteresting. What others seem to call "moody" I find obfuscating.  TEHO.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390706 by Stealthy Ninja
What's with the green tint in your edits?! Freakin' Nikon users love their green tint. :P :toocrazy:
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390717 by Scotty

[/quote]

Here is my version so far. I'm not happy with the sky. I put extra green stuff in for adrian to go nuts over.  I'll do a more serious attempt when i'm on my workstation (on my laptop right now). Tried to go for a more natural look over the topaz adjust look.  Go to town.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390730 by Scotty

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #390732 by garyrhook

Stealthy Ninja wrote: What's with the green tint in your edits?! Freakin' Nikon users love their green tint. :P :toocrazy:

That would be the crappy Sony RAW file.  One does the best one can with what one is given.

OK, now that I got that out of my system. (The files are from a Sony camera, really.)

I did have too much green/yellow while in LR adjusting WB, and tried to pull it back. Obviously not far enough, now that I look at it with some distance.

For my version of the "surfboard guy" it's actually a composite. I used 3 copies in LR to deal with the sky, the man, and everything else. Then I masked and combined them in PS, and did some dodging and burning. Finally, I added a tiny bit of Topas Detail (the smallest amount of fine detail possible, essentially). No Adjust. Everything you see processing-wise was done in LR.

Admission: I do own Adjust, I just didn't use it for this. My vision was satisfied with basic tools.

Photo Comments
9 years 9 months ago #390733 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Here is my version so far. I'm not happy with the sky. I put extra green stuff in for adrian to go nuts over.  I'll do a more serious attempt when i'm on my workstation (on my laptop right now). Tried to go for a more natural look over the topaz adjust look.  Go to town.

[/quote]

Fixed it. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024