Lightroom for iPad - how useful is it for serious hobbyists & Pros

8 years 4 months ago #462941 by PRSS
Hello all

I am posting this question here as I could not find satisfactory answers by Google search.

I have two queries:

1) Is the now recently launched FREE Lightroom for iPad (you do not have
to have a Creative Cloud subscription - it is a standalone free of cost
software for iPad & Android tablets & so is for mobiles) as
functional as the original LR for iPad where one had to have a CC
subscription ? I have a perpetual license for LR 6.xx (not a cc
subscription and so was not eligible for LR for iPad before this Free
version came out) and I have now installed the free app from the Apple
Store on my iPad Air. Is this a scaled down version with lesser
functionality?

2) While LR for iPad seems convenient to do adjustments to photos taken with iPad, how does it really prove to be
useful for a serious hobbyist and for a pro who shoots RAW/NEF with DSLR
?

The idea behind LR for iPad seems to be to enable editing of RAW files on the go. But I do not see quite a few tools which are found
on the regular Desktop LR. From what I have understood one has to buy a
camera connector to iPad - which I have not yet bought - and the RAW
files are transferred to iPad as smart preview files for editing.

When only basic editing capabilities are present in LR for iPad (OR may be I
have not figured out where the more advanced editing tools are) how
does a serious hobbyist or a professional photographer has real
productivity with LR for iPad ?

And does one always have to have internet connection to transfer back & forth between iPad &
computer ? And are the files always stored in the Cloud?

That is quite a lot of questions from me.

Thanks in advance
PRSS

8 years 4 months ago #465332 by Uplander
Novelty IMO on iPad

Photo Comments
8 years 4 months ago #465406 by JaneK
IMO photo editing software on mobile devices is worthless 

Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #467254 by Dan Spade
Editing on tablets unless stylus is good is worthless and difficult.

Photo Comments
8 years 3 months ago #467258 by cybersholt
I agree with everyone above, it would be rough. I don't know if iPads support mice / external card reader of some sort so maybe an Android is not as bad in this case since if you added all of that you are basically making a poor man's laptop??? Seems sort of pointless in the end.

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024