How often are you pushing shadows in post?

6 years 5 months ago #551853 by Miss Polly
Lately I've been using this technique in Lightroom where in development mode, you slide highlights all the way down to the left and shadows all the way to the right, then adjust white and black slider to make that DR pop.

Have any of you tried this? 

Here's example of what I'm talking about:

Photo Comments
Attachments:
6 years 5 months ago #551951 by garyrhook
Generally, I will not do this for people. Landscape, architecture, objects, yes. Depends upon the light. I will tame highlights for people/events/outdoor stuff a lot, and bring shadows up depending upon the light that I had. But not 100%, no.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #551968 by John Landolfi
Since you don't post any photos, there's no way of understanding what popping the DR might look like. Would you give some examples?

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552061 by garyrhook

John Landolfi wrote: Since you don't post any photos, there's no way of understanding what popping the DR might look like. Would you give some examples?

Serge Ramelli uses this approach on his landscape work. Watch this video , at 3:30 to see an example. (This video also has a clever trick for the lamp posts, highly recommended at 10:30).

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552097 by Shadowfixer1
I used this technique a lot at one time. I'm finding it is really more camera specific on it's effectiveness. The Olympus E-M10 files react differently from the files from my Olympus E-M1. I find I use the highlight slider in almost every image. I general use the shadow slider a little less. I bring the pop back with Pro Contrast in the Nik collection. 
6 years 5 months ago #552227 by EOS_Fan
Just for landscapes and cityscapes.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552234 by rdubreuil
For me it depends on the image and what detail I want to bring out or subdue.  

6 years 5 months ago #552349 by KCook

Looks nutz to me.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 5 months ago #552475 by garyrhook

KCook wrote: Looks nutz to me.

With all due respect, Kelly, have you tried this technique? Or watched the video I reference above?

We talk all the time about taming and pulling detail out of highlights, and pulling detail out of shadows. That's all this is doing, and it's extremely useful in some cases. I also find that a somewhat tempered approach works in even more situations.

It's just dodging and burning fully across a zone or two, if you want to get Ansel about it.

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552550 by neal1977
I use this all the time myself.  If you on a Mac after you have moved the hightlight and blacks, hold down the "Option" button and hold while you adjust whites and blacks.  You want to move the slider till you start seeing colors peaking.  

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552624 by Carry
Will this risk over sharpening the photos when exporting from LR that already sharpens?  

Photo Comments
6 years 5 months ago #552641 by KCook

garyrhook wrote:

KCook wrote: Looks nutz to me.

With all due respect, Kelly, have you tried this technique? Or watched the video I reference above?

We talk all the time about taming and pulling detail out of highlights, and pulling detail out of shadows. That's all this is doing, and it's extremely useful in some cases. I also find that a somewhat tempered approach works in even more situations.

It's just dodging and burning fully across a zone or two, if you want to get Ansel about it.

Nope and Nope.  When I need drastic adjustments I go to the Tone Curve tool.

Kelly

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

6 years 5 months ago #552731 by garyrhook

Carry wrote: Will this risk over sharpening the photos when exporting from LR that already sharpens?  

I've noticed no discernible affect in that area.

N.B. "discernible" should be spelled with an "a".  :angry:

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556809 by Justin Time
I often use this technique, as other said mostly in landscape or cityscapes. Not always, each image has to be analysed on its own. But most images containing sky during the day have a large dynamic range and this is a good way to reduce it.
A lot of other users prefer using curve which can achieve the same results, but I don't feel very comfortable with the Curve tool

6 years 4 months ago #557004 by Sawyer
+1 it works.   Yeah first glass when you see the extreme highlights and shadows bars pulled all the way out, you have to keep in mind that things are balanced out with the whites and blacks bar below.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024