Mac or PC for photo processing and editing?

2 years 1 month ago #555722 by Dana Leeson
When it comes to processing  and editing your work, do you prefer to do it on a Mac or PC.  I have both and tend to always process on my Mac.  

Just wondering if others are doing the same, or find preference with their  PC?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 1 month ago #555729 by cybersholt
PC, I'm sure this topic will stir up the Mac fans :)

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #555745 by garyrhook
This question makes, and has always made, zero sense.

There are two things to consider in the context of photographic PP:
  1. What tool do you want to use?
  2. Is the tool available on more than one platform?
Only if the answer to the second one is "yes" do you begin to consider other parameters completely outside of editing software to help you make your decision. Which makes this question specious.

If the questions are asked differently:
  1. Do I have the option of buying a new computer?
  2. How do I intend to use it?
Then only if the answer to the first one is a "yes" do you consider the second question. And then you weigh pros and cons, and prioritize your needs and desires. And also go back to the first questions above.

Put another way: I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Within those two application it matters not a whit which OS/hardware I'm running on. They work almost identically on both Windows and MacOS. It doesn't matter what I prefer if that is the only metric. The only distinguishing characteristic, the number of mouse buttons, is not that big of a deal.

And if I consider other relevant factors like plug-ins, then suddenly there's no decision to make at all, because that usually means a single platform is your only option. Nik being an exception.

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #555863 by One Creative Girl
Macbook 

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #555878 by Peter Nunez
Depends on where I'm at, I process on both MAC and PC

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556057 by ShutterPal
Most of the time, I'm working on my Mac.

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556177 by Jakov Barnes
Both PC and Macbook 

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556182 by effron
Both are great machines, the new loaded Dell XPS laptop is an animal, it will be my next computer...just waiting for my old one, bought in 2006,  to die.....

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556305 by KENT MELTON
I'm all about which ever is closest to me at the time.  

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556320 by ThatNikonGuy
PC 

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556322 by Vespista
It's a lot like the Canon / Nikon argument; both have their fans. One isn't 'better' than the other.
Personally I use Macs but I'm the first to admit they're not the best option for everyone.
It's what you are comfortable with, can afford, fits with rest of your system, runs your preferred software and fits your most efficient workflow.

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556499 by Miss Polly
I actually use both.  No preference.

Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556596 by Drew Fletcher
+Mac

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments

2 years 1 month ago #556804 by Justin Time
20 years ago Mac had a far superior operating system.
These days there is hardly any difference between Mac and Windows.
Mac is much more expensive for the same power (not far from twice the price), but it is also very reliable. It comes in specific models and cannot be customised much. Regarding video, it has an excellent proprietary codec called ProRes which is certainly a plus.
WIndows is much cheaper, can be totally customised to suit your needs, but for this same reason is probably not as reliable if heavily tweaked

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With options for just about every budget, this list of the best microphones of 2020 has something for everyone and just about every purpose.

Jan 24, 2020

Buying a used DSLR can be an adventure if you don't know what to look for or where to buy from. Use these tips for buying a used DSLR to get the best deal and the best quality camera possible.

Jan 23, 2020

Using a drone for B-roll is an excellent option for getting interesting footage that enhances your videos. Get a few tips for shooting B-roll with a drone in this tutorial.

Jan 23, 2020

The best backdrops can make your portraits shine with beautiful colors and textures that add interest to the shot. But what are the best photography backdrops? Consult this list to find out!

Jan 22, 2020

There are all types of graduated ND filters, each of which offers specific benefits for your landscape photography. Find out the benefits of these filters in this guide!

Jan 22, 2020

If you're in the market for an inexpensive full frame camera this year, look no further than this list of some cheap full frame mirrorless and DSLR options.

Jan 20, 2020

What photography gear upgrades are you planning for 2020? As you update your kit, bear these essential photography accessories in mind.

Jan 20, 2020

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020