Mac or PC for photo processing and editing?

2 years 9 months ago #555722 by Dana Leeson
When it comes to processing  and editing your work, do you prefer to do it on a Mac or PC.  I have both and tend to always process on my Mac.  

Just wondering if others are doing the same, or find preference with their  PC?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 9 months ago #555729 by cybersholt
PC, I'm sure this topic will stir up the Mac fans :)

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #555745 by garyrhook
This question makes, and has always made, zero sense.

There are two things to consider in the context of photographic PP:
  1. What tool do you want to use?
  2. Is the tool available on more than one platform?
Only if the answer to the second one is "yes" do you begin to consider other parameters completely outside of editing software to help you make your decision. Which makes this question specious.

If the questions are asked differently:
  1. Do I have the option of buying a new computer?
  2. How do I intend to use it?
Then only if the answer to the first one is a "yes" do you consider the second question. And then you weigh pros and cons, and prioritize your needs and desires. And also go back to the first questions above.

Put another way: I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Within those two application it matters not a whit which OS/hardware I'm running on. They work almost identically on both Windows and MacOS. It doesn't matter what I prefer if that is the only metric. The only distinguishing characteristic, the number of mouse buttons, is not that big of a deal.

And if I consider other relevant factors like plug-ins, then suddenly there's no decision to make at all, because that usually means a single platform is your only option. Nik being an exception.

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #555863 by One Creative Girl
Macbook 

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #555878 by Peter Nunez
Depends on where I'm at, I process on both MAC and PC

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556057 by ShutterPal
Most of the time, I'm working on my Mac.

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556177 by Jakov Barnes
Both PC and Macbook 

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556182 by effron
Both are great machines, the new loaded Dell XPS laptop is an animal, it will be my next computer...just waiting for my old one, bought in 2006,  to die.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556305 by KENT MELTON
I'm all about which ever is closest to me at the time.  

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556320 by ThatNikonGuy
PC 

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556322 by Vespista
It's a lot like the Canon / Nikon argument; both have their fans. One isn't 'better' than the other.
Personally I use Macs but I'm the first to admit they're not the best option for everyone.
It's what you are comfortable with, can afford, fits with rest of your system, runs your preferred software and fits your most efficient workflow.

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556499 by Miss Polly
I actually use both.  No preference.

Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556596 by Drew Fletcher
+Mac

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments

2 years 9 months ago #556804 by Justin Time
20 years ago Mac had a far superior operating system.
These days there is hardly any difference between Mac and Windows.
Mac is much more expensive for the same power (not far from twice the price), but it is also very reliable. It comes in specific models and cannot be customised much. Regarding video, it has an excellent proprietary codec called ProRes which is certainly a plus.
WIndows is much cheaper, can be totally customised to suit your needs, but for this same reason is probably not as reliable if heavily tweaked

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020

The Canon 7D Mark II might be more than five years old, but for sports and wildlife photographers, it's still a great - and affordable - option.

Sep 15, 2020

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II is a high-end compact camera. The question is, is it the right camera for you? Find out in this Canon PowerShot G5 X II review.

Sep 09, 2020

This detailed Olympus OM-D E-M1X review will introduce you to the features, specs, pros, cons, and more of this high-powered sports and action photography camera.

Sep 07, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With a budget of $5,000, you can get incredible gifts for photographers this holiday season.

Sep 22, 2020

Use these photography business tips to expand the reach of your business to new clients and retain the clients you already have.

Sep 21, 2020

To get better at photography, you need to learn how to improve your photos. And to do that, you need to practice essential photography skills. Here's some projects that will help you do just that.

Sep 21, 2020

The Pentax K-1 Mark II is an affordable full frame camera with many excellent features including in-body image stabilization. But is it the camera for you? Find out in this review!

Sep 21, 2020

There are many benefits of curved monitors, not the least of which is reduced eye strain. But they also enhance your post-processing experience.

Sep 21, 2020

Learning how to get better at landscape photography is a matter of following a few simple rules. Get better results by following these easy techniques!

Sep 18, 2020

To get good audio for YouTube videos, you need to follow a few "rules of the road."

Sep 16, 2020

Lens filters are a crucial component of a landscape photography kit. But you can't just have them, you need to know how to use them too. Learn what lens filter mistakes to avoid in this tutorial.

Sep 16, 2020