Mac or PC for photo processing and editing?

6 years 4 months ago #555722 by Dana Leeson
When it comes to processing  and editing your work, do you prefer to do it on a Mac or PC.  I have both and tend to always process on my Mac.  

Just wondering if others are doing the same, or find preference with their  PC?

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #555729 by cybersholt
PC, I'm sure this topic will stir up the Mac fans :)

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #555745 by garyrhook
This question makes, and has always made, zero sense.

There are two things to consider in the context of photographic PP:
  1. What tool do you want to use?
  2. Is the tool available on more than one platform?
Only if the answer to the second one is "yes" do you begin to consider other parameters completely outside of editing software to help you make your decision. Which makes this question specious.

If the questions are asked differently:
  1. Do I have the option of buying a new computer?
  2. How do I intend to use it?
Then only if the answer to the first one is a "yes" do you consider the second question. And then you weigh pros and cons, and prioritize your needs and desires. And also go back to the first questions above.

Put another way: I use Lightroom and Photoshop. Within those two application it matters not a whit which OS/hardware I'm running on. They work almost identically on both Windows and MacOS. It doesn't matter what I prefer if that is the only metric. The only distinguishing characteristic, the number of mouse buttons, is not that big of a deal.

And if I consider other relevant factors like plug-ins, then suddenly there's no decision to make at all, because that usually means a single platform is your only option. Nik being an exception.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #555863 by One Creative Girl
Macbook 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #555878 by Peter Nunez
Depends on where I'm at, I process on both MAC and PC

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556057 by ShutterPal
Most of the time, I'm working on my Mac.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556177 by Jakov Barnes
Both PC and Macbook 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556182 by effron
Both are great machines, the new loaded Dell XPS laptop is an animal, it will be my next computer...just waiting for my old one, bought in 2006,  to die.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556305 by KENT MELTON
I'm all about which ever is closest to me at the time.  

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556320 by ThatNikonGuy
PC 

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556322 by Vespista
It's a lot like the Canon / Nikon argument; both have their fans. One isn't 'better' than the other.
Personally I use Macs but I'm the first to admit they're not the best option for everyone.
It's what you are comfortable with, can afford, fits with rest of your system, runs your preferred software and fits your most efficient workflow.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556499 by Miss Polly
I actually use both.  No preference.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556596 by Drew Fletcher
+Mac

Nikon D700 | 24-70mm | 14-24mm | 105mm
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #556804 by Justin Time
20 years ago Mac had a far superior operating system.
These days there is hardly any difference between Mac and Windows.
Mac is much more expensive for the same power (not far from twice the price), but it is also very reliable. It comes in specific models and cannot be customised much. Regarding video, it has an excellent proprietary codec called ProRes which is certainly a plus.
WIndows is much cheaper, can be totally customised to suit your needs, but for this same reason is probably not as reliable if heavily tweaked

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024