Wolverine Titan Film to Digital Converter- problem with graining images

6 years 3 weeks ago #575155 by C.C.
We have scanned a good 3 dozen negatives and uploaded them into my computer and noticed that these are heavily pixelated and not looking very good.  I'm wondering what we could have done wrong or are we supposed to process each in post to reduce noise?  

Now we did try scanning a few more to see if there were settings we had wrong.  No change.

I could really use some help here.   

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575203 by KENT MELTON
What condition are the negatives you are feeding it?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575233 by Richard Taylor
I have no issues with my Titan.  As pointed out, if the negatives are beat up, that might create the added noise.  Not sure.  No issues, so might not be of any help to you.  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575249 by Conner
Is your head clean?  Might be mucked up.  Or as already mentioned, the condition of your film might be the root of your problems.  These systems work by taking photos of each frame.  So if your film is messed up, your image will be as well.  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575251 by wolverine
Hi Conner,

The output is very much dependent on the film type, how old and camera used. As an example, Ectachrome film or 110 film will produce the worst output because there isn't enough details in the film the machine sensor can pickup. Kodachrome was the best film and lived the most. The camera also played a big roll. Film taken with an SLR camera will produce a much better scan than point and shoot camera! You can always utilize editing software to enhance the images.

www.wolverinedata.com
Handheld Scanners, Film Converters & Digital Camera Backup Devices
PT Special 20% OFF
Coupon Code PTWOLVERINE

6 years 3 weeks ago #575259 by Francis
OP- please excuse the question.  I don't mean to hijack your thread!

So can you indicate what the photo file type will be other than JPEG?  

Will it save as TIFF or PNG? 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575261 by wolverine
The output is only JPEG.

www.wolverinedata.com
PT Special 20% OFF
Coupon Code PTWOLVERINE

6 years 3 weeks ago #575264 by Conner
Hey Francis, why would you want anything other than JPEG files? 

Just curious 

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575283 by garyrhook

Conner wrote: Hey Francis, why would you want anything other than JPEG files? 

Just curious 

Because RAW, unprocessed, uncompressed data is always preferable. That's why we don't shoot JPGs for anything serious.

Unless that device can output a 92% or better JPG, meh. OTOH, film is "meh" anyways, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Sounds to me like the device isn't set to a reasonable resolution?

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575436 by Sandy Smith Photos
Can't comment on that one.   My husband bought me this one:  www.argraph.com/PanaVuePanaScanAPA135.html#top2  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575442 by Conner

garyrhook wrote:

Conner wrote: Hey Francis, why would you want anything other than JPEG files? 

Just curious 

Because RAW, unprocessed, uncompressed data is always preferable. That's why we don't shoot JPGs for anything serious.

Unless that device can output a 92% or better JPG, meh. OTOH, film is "meh" anyways, so perhaps it doesn't matter.

Sounds to me like the device isn't set to a reasonable resolution?

Gotcha, but do any of these film to digital converters give you RAW files with out having to spend a grip?  RAW would be cool, but I'm just thrilled to have these saved to digital.  JPEG is fine for me, but in my DSLR camera that I take photos with, RAW all the way.  

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575444 by icepics
Why would film be 'meh' anyway? Old negatives, depending on film size and camera used (SLR or p&s or Instamatic etc.), may not be the best quality and could've been affected by how they were stored. Fresh film produces good quality negatives and photos.

I agree, it sounds like it could be resolution. I wonder if the negatives would be better scanned at higher res like 600? I've had some done as
TIFFs which produces a file that's not always as usable (takes long to
load) but could be saved as JPEGs.

Why would Ektachrome not scan well? I can see why 110 may not produce the best scans, those negatives are so small that they can't be enlarged much (and those little Instamatics with plastic lenses don't exactly produce the sharpest images). What is meant by Kodachrome lived the most?

Sharon
Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575471 by garyrhook

icepics wrote: Why would film be 'meh' anyway? Old negatives, depending on film size and camera used (SLR or p&s or Instamatic etc.), may not be the best quality and could've been affected by how they were stored. Fresh film produces good quality negatives and photos.

To quote Edna Mode in “The Incredibles”: “I never look back, dahling; it distracts from the now.”

Photo Comments
6 years 3 weeks ago #575580 by wolverine
Echtachrome film did not have enough resolution per say and for some reason started loosing its colors after 10 years of storage.
Kodachrome film retained its colors the most and had enough resolution that the digital sensor was able to scan them nicely and produce superb digital images.

www.wolverinedata.com
PT Special 20% OFF
Coupon Code PTWOLVERINE

6 years 2 weeks ago #575586 by Adam S
My wife was just looking at one of these film to digital converters a couple weeks ago.  She was asking if we would be able to blow up photos to the same size that I do with my DSLR photos.  I can't recall what machine she was looking at.  However let's talk in general here.  Even with the best camera, you have limited information that is available when you factor in how small of a spot that camera is working with.  Right?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024