How to get my photos to looked aged from Photoshop?

5 years 5 months ago #612920 by Kitzmiller
I'm trying to create a genuine aged look to some of my photos.  Yellowish aged is what I want.  I was thinking about printing these out and soaking in them in coffee, that is what we did back in the day. 

How can this sort of aging be done in Photoshop?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #612934 by Shadowfixer1
Create a color layer with the color you want, set blend mode to color and adjust opacity to taste. Use a layer mask to add or subtract the color. Take an image of scratched up and rusted metal and add it as a layer, adjust opacity  and use a mask to ad or subtract scratches, etc. where you want. Example below.

5 years 5 months ago #613076 by Kitzmiller
You are awesome!  Thank you.  I'm going to try this out when I get home later!!

For the layer with the rusted and scratched metal, what blend mode would you recommend?  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613120 by Don Granger

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Create a color layer with the color you want, set blend mode to color and adjust opacity to taste. Use a layer mask to add or subtract the color. Take an image of scratched up and rusted metal and add it as a layer, adjust opacity  and use a mask to ad or subtract scratches, etc. where you want. Example below.

Are these your shots?  If so, great job these look great.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613125 by Peter Nunez
For blend mode on metal layers, I use 'Linear Light' myself. 

Here's the shot for the weekly post processing challenge from this site, using this method.  

Make: Canon
Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
Lens: EF24-70mm f/2.8L USM
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/14.0
Shutter speed: 4 s
Captured: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 7:35am

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 5 months ago #613137 by Shadowfixer1

Don Granger wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Create a color layer with the color you want, set blend mode to color and adjust opacity to taste. Use a layer mask to add or subtract the color. Take an image of scratched up and rusted metal and add it as a layer, adjust opacity  and use a mask to ad or subtract scratches, etc. where you want. Example below.

Are these your shots?  If so, great job these look great.  

Yes. They are my shots.
5 years 5 months ago #613138 by Shadowfixer1

Kitzmiller wrote: You are awesome!  Thank you.  I'm going to try this out when I get home later!!

For the layer with the rusted and scratched metal, what blend mode would you recommend?  

Pick a mode in the overlay group to see which you prefer. 
5 years 5 months ago #613150 by Ian Stone
Those train shots look like the real deal.  Was that train parked?  I don't think I've ever seen an old school train like that in use.  Beauty. 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613284 by Shadowfixer1

Ian Stone wrote: Those train shots look like the real deal.  Was that train parked?  I don't think I've ever seen an old school train like that in use.  Beauty. 

No, they weren't parked. It was on an excursion trip from Chattanooga, TN to Summerville, GA and back. This one was special because if you look closely it's a double steam engine run.
5 years 5 months ago #613459 by Jackson Rieger
Best way is to experiment with the different blend modes.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613606 by ThatNikonGuy
That must have been a treat to see in person.  How often are they running those engines? 

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #613755 by Shadowfixer1

ThatNikonGuy wrote: That must have been a treat to see in person.  How often are they running those engines? 

The double engine train is once or twice a year. The single makes several runs during the year. Probably a dozen or so.
5 years 5 months ago #613947 by Tristan R
Interesting technique, good tip! 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024