Luminar 2018 have two 'clarity' tools?

5 years 4 months ago #614142 by Adam S
Am I missing something, why are there two 'clarity' tools in my Luminar?

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 4 months ago #614217 by Harrison J
Just looked, mine is the same as well.  Interesting, honestly, I have no clue why there are two!

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #614246 by garyrhook
Call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet that the user manual discusses that.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #614311 by Dana Leeson
Do they even have a user manual?  

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #614329 by garyrhook

Dana Leeson wrote: Do they even have a user manual?  

Yes, easily found on their site. Luminar, User Guide, Windows.

skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows

Oddly enough, I almost always check something out before posting a suggestion. That way, I know exactly how many seconds it takes to find something on the web. Spoiler alert: not as long as it takes to post a question here, usually.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #614424 by Dana Leeson

garyrhook wrote:

Dana Leeson wrote: Do they even have a user manual?  

Yes, easily found on their site. Luminar, User Guide, Windows.

skylum.com/luminar/user-manual/2018/windows

Oddly enough, I almost always check something out before posting a suggestion. That way, I know exactly how many seconds it takes to find something on the web. Spoiler alert: not as long as it takes to post a question here, usually.

Cool.  Good to know. :)  But aren't these sort of forums supposed to be about discussion? Honestly I didn't know there were rules of what you can't and can post.  Technically speaking, and I'm making an assumption here... ALL questions posted on these sort of forums have answers that can be found elsewhere on the internet.  Don't get me wrong, I understand your point. But being fair, I'm guilty on many occasions posting questions on a community forum like this and hoping for a quick answer.  Perhaps there is someone out there that knows the answer on the tip of their head.  Saving me time from having to do a search on Google that does take seconds, but then digging through potential pages of the black hole we call the web.  lol 

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #614480 by garyrhook

Dana Leeson wrote: Cool.  Good to know. :)  But aren't these sort of forums supposed to be about discussion? Honestly I didn't know there were rules of what you can't and can post.  Technically speaking, and I'm making an assumption here... ALL questions posted on these sort of forums have answers that can be found elsewhere on the internet.  Don't get me wrong, I understand your point. But being fair, I'm guilty on many occasions posting questions on a community forum like this and hoping for a quick answer.  Perhaps there is someone out there that knows the answer on the tip of their head.  Saving me time from having to do a search on Google that does take seconds, but then digging through potential pages of the black hole we call the web.  lol 

For me...

Asking a question that can be answered in seconds with a web search isn't the same thing as a discussion. For example, the OP here questions the presence of two things that appear to be the same. While we can find out what those two things do (and I haven't bothered to fire up my copy of Luminar to look at them) from the manual, the follow-on would be the value of these two functions: how are they similar or different, when/why to use them, things like that.

I maintain (and I could certainly be wrong) that posting a question to a forum and waiting for an answer when a web search can quickly provide said answer is.... inexplicable. I also think that good answers require good questions, and I learned a long time ago that I get better information when I do my own homework first, to fill in gaps as much as possible, before asking questions of others. Even if that means, "I looked for this and found nothing that seemed useful, so I could use some help."

I repeat: for me...

I've been using the web for over 20 years, and I find it dismaying that, with all the information readily available through DuckDuckGo, Siri, whatever, in seconds, using a search engine seems to have become a lost art. And I don't dig through pages, I refine/modify my query to see what I can uncover.

I'm not knocking asking questions; I'm knocking asking questions that are easily answered in seconds. That's faster than posting on a forum thread and waiting.

I repeat: good answers require good questions. And good questions require at least some groundwork first. I could be wrong... I can't think of an exception to this at the moment, but I'm sure there is one.

Once I boot back to Windows, I'll probably go investigate since no one else has offered any insights about the original question.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #615305 by Gabriel Photos
I tried downloading Luminar to my machine earlier this year and the program froze and I couldn't get it to work.  Uninstalled and so never got chance to use.  

Sorry can't help you.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #624077 by Alex_Tsepko
Hi There. Luminar offers more than 50 adjustments that can be applied to an image.  Some of thee filters are designed to accomplish many things with just a single slider (such as Accent AI and AI Sky Enhancer) thanks to Artificial Intelligence.  Other effects may appear in more than one tool.
For example, you’ll find Clarity as part of the Develop and Raw Develop filters.  These effects are always applied first in an image pipeline.  However, you may find yourself in a situation where you want to add clarity after another filter is run.  In this case, you could apply the standalone Clarity effect to do so.

Additionally, you’ll see some overlap with some of the more basic effects like Tone, Develop, and Highlights/Shadows.  This is both so that effects and controls are easier for people to locate when browsing, and to allow for extra flexibility when creating custom Luminar Looks or workspaces.

Hope this helps.
Alex 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024