HELP: How to edit out lens flare.

5 years 5 months ago #615165 by Darwish
Hi guys,

I have this image, and I've been watching videos on how to edit out lens flare but none have seemed to work on this image. I'm fairly new to editing and a lot of the techniques were quite advanced so I might have been missing something while editing. Does anyone have any videos to recommend or any tips that would help with this particular image?

Thanks!
Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D810
Lens: 24.0-70.0 mm f/2.8
ISO: 100
Aperture: f/9.0
Shutter speed: 1/13 sec
Captured: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:28pm

Attachments:
5 years 5 months ago #615201 by Nikon Shooter
This picture will be difficult because of the texture and thealignment of the wine slopes.I did try (but did not devoted too much time) with succes-
sive and repetitive heal and clone brushes and came to so-
me result… If the solution would please you, I don't know.I could post with your permission.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615291 by Darwish

Nikon Shooter wrote: This picture will be difficult because of the texture and thealignment of the wine slopes.I did try (but did not devoted too much time) with succes-
sive and repetitive heal and clone brushes and came to so-
me result… If the solution would please you, I don't know.I could post with your permission.

Yes please go ahead. Anything would be helpful. Thanks for the effort! 

5 years 5 months ago #615326 by Nikon Shooter

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615342 by Screamin Scott
Out of curiosity, do you have a filter mounted?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 5 months ago #615402 by Darwish

Screamin Scott wrote: Out of curiosity, do you have a filter mounted?

Yes I beleive I had a soft GND on. Ideally would’ve wanted a reverse grad but didn’t have it. 

This image has already been edited in post processing though. Now that I look back at the original, I don’t really like the edit I made here (clouds are too dark), might do it again when I have the time. Main issue though is getting rid of that huge lens flare!

5 years 5 months ago #615403 by Darwish

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Thanks! Looks much better. My main issue though was how to make the wine fields blend in without that sudden shift in color. Clone stamp didn’t really help me much in that regard (made it look very patchy). 

I guess as you rightly pointed out the texture in this image makes it difficult to fix. 

5 years 4 months ago #616064 by garyrhook
IMO don't worry about it. Fix the overall edit, and leave it be. If you really don't want lens flare, shoot to avoid it, which means putting your sun below the horizon or behind a cloud or high in the sky.

That said, I think this image is mostly a learning opportunity for you.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Darwish
5 years 4 months ago #616066 by Darwish
It is a learning opportunity. Had me searching on how to avoid lens flare in the first place. TBH I underestimated how difficult and time consuming it is to remove it in post processing. Next time will definitely try to avoid it. Thanks!

5 years 4 months ago #616069 by Nikon Shooter

Darwish wrote: Next time will definitely try to avoid it.

Here, the only chance you had to avoid it was to
exclude the Sun from the take… in which case, it
would be a totally different image.

Unavoidable in this image but with a Sun at one
side and not planned in the take, shadowing it
with a hand is an efficient way.

Photo Comments
5 years 4 months ago #616629 by fmw
The flare doesn't look all that bad.  A little increase in contrast clears that up.  I do see some serious ghosting, however, where you have a couple of solar reflections from a couple of your lens elements.  Nikon Shooter has cleaned one of them up effectively.  The other bad ghost image is just to the south of the solar disc itself.  Try working on that.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024