4x6 inch (A6) printing - Canon PIXMA PRO-10S?

5 years 3 months ago #621915 by Tonio-Lombardi
Hello,First post here I'm a pro photographer working on weddings/commercial work. I do a lot of 4x6inch prints to deliver along with my weddings and I'm currently looking into if it makes sense to start to print my own prints. I primarily want to upgrade the prints I deliver to fine art mat paper rather than traditional silver halide paper. I am looking at the Canon Pixma PRO-10S printer and pre-cut A6 sized matt fine art paper (around 200gsm - 10mil thickness). I know these printers produce good quality prints and have read some reviews but I cannot find specific information pertaining to my intended use. I print around 80 4x6inch prints per wedding (around 25 a year), but I would also like to occasionally do larger prints.I would like to know if anyone has a similar use for printers like these? Would this printer accept a stack of 50 or more 4x6 inch 200gsm paper, would it be able to handle it? Does it make sense long term? I have done some initial rough costings and it seems that the cost per print would be a bit more expensive than a standard silver halide print which I am ready to pay to increase the quality. Do you guys think this makes sense? Are there any better options?Thanks,Tonio

5 years 3 months ago #622020 by garyrhook
I have an Epson 3880, and no regrets. First, ink is pigment based, which is far superior to dye. The Pro-10 appears to be pigment based as well.

As for media, hard to say with that printer. I can't find photos of the backside and how paper is managed, but it appears to use a rear feeder system. Thicker paper means less media in the bin. Do some googling to see what folks say about paper handling.

Also, those tanks are small, so you'll want to keep a supply handy every time you start a print cycle.

Higher quality paper with pigment inks means archival quality prints. You can bump up your prices for that.

That' all I got.

Photo Comments
1 year 4 months ago #745397 by jamess32
Standard A6 paper size is 105 x 148.5 mm, which makes it too small for long blocks of text, but it still has plenty of uses. Some mobile printers can print this size, which is most regularly used for flyers, postcards, leaflets and save the dates. In this case, it is recommended to go for a 4x6 thermal label printer. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024