What's your workflow for saving your final photo edits?

5 years 2 months ago #632106 by Dan Spade
While working in LR and PS, I usually always finish up in LR by exporting the image for web and then save my favorite shot on one external drive and then one copy is sent to my Raid.

Someone was telling me about saving final edits as a TIFF also, something to do with better archival.  Have you heard anything like that? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #632114 by garyrhook
I always have to ask: define "better"?

Short answer: no. The file is in  LR. Why save it again? My serious edits already involve a PSD as part of my workflow, so that's as close as I would get.

I export my images (using jfFolder) into Drive, where I can get go them anywhere else. Those are 2k on the long edge. That meets most of my needs. Images for clients are provided through my website.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632202 by neal1977
My computers hard drive stopped being larger enough to hold my stuff long ago.  I have a Drobo set up in my home that I move all my photos onto afterwards.  That's pretty much it for my back up.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632207 by Nikon Shooter
Shooting RAW and always working in session, I will
— cull and PP the RAWs
— export a final web version to be edited in pixel editor if needed
— (for extensive editing work, the final version will be at 100% and
xx then saved with the RAWs, otherwise I never keep web versions!)

I never keep tiff, png or other formats.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632284 by Roman Omell
Lacie drives

Photo Comments
5 years 2 months ago #632334 by Troponin
Tiff is nice when you need to have a large print made. I believe it preserves a larger dynamic range as well, but I would need to verify that. I provide these to clients when they specifically need them. 

That being said, my tiff files are 150mb and larger (40mp). If you’re just posting on the computer, jpg are more than ok. I usually set my quality to 90%, which makes the file even smaller, because again, most are just shared here and on other social media and unless you’re pixel peeping pretty hard, you can’t see the difference. 

So my settings are:
-jpg
-90-100% quality
-File number and date for file name
-adobe color(we can talk color range too if you like)
-Signature

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632583 by Dan Spade

garyrhook wrote: I always have to ask: define "better"?

Short answer: no. The file is in  LR. Why save it again? My serious edits already involve a PSD as part of my workflow, so that's as close as I would get.

I export my images (using jfFolder) into Drive, where I can get go them anywhere else. Those are 2k on the long edge. That meets most of my needs. Images for clients are provided through my website.

Not my words, just quoting what I had read.   2k is that set by you?  What happens to the larger file incase you want to print larger?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #632651 by garyrhook

Dan Spade wrote: Not my words, just quoting what I had read.   2k is that set by you?  What happens to the larger file incase you want to print larger?  

You didn't ask about intent, you asked about workflow. Producing images for various purposes is the act of exporting. Everything up to that point is about asset management and developing. Don't conflate the two.

Once an image is "finished", I can do whatever with it: print it, organize it in a collection, export it using a variety of techniques. I have a plugin that can send the image to a gallery on ZenFolio (jfZenFolio), to a single folder on  a hard drive (Hard Drive Export), to a folder structure the mimics my catalog folder structure (jfFolder) which is in my Drive folder and is therefore replicated automatically, to Flickr, to Facebook, whatever. Each export service is set up to perform a certain function at the required resolution and quality.

Note: this was one of the most difficult things for me to figure out when I started using LR. It took months to wrap my head around using this, and I still don't take really good advantage of this feature.

So, to actually answer your question: my export service for my folders that are in Drive (and thus accessible from my phone/whatever) are configured for 2K by me, yes. If I need a fullsize image, I use a different export service to create that file. But the images in Drive are for me, and their size and quality are suitable for whatever I might need: showing to someone, posting to IG or FB, sending to someone, etc.

I know this probably doesn't help much, but I thought I put some additional words to it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024