How to back up all photos in Lightroom CC?

5 years 1 month ago #634223 by GWS
I'm reading directions on:  helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/back-catalog.html

For #1 it says: Choose Edit > Catalog Settings (Windows) or Lightroom Classic CC > Catalog Settings (Mac OS).

I don't see "Catalog Settings" under Edit on my Macbook.

Where is that hiding?

Thanks for the help!

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634224 by GWS
Actually I just found it guys.  Now the problem I found is that it's saving a .zip file, and not saving all my actual photos.  I want all my photos that are in the Lightroom to get backed up.  

How can this be done?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634225 by GWS
One other thing, that back up was quick.  So how basic or depth does this .zip file have in it?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634243 by garyrhook
The Lightroom catalog is a database that contains asset information and editing steps. Nothing more.

A backup of everything means
  1. Knowing where your catalog is stored
  2. Knowing where your image files are stored
Shut down Lightroom (it can't be active when you make a copy of the catalog) and copy the folders containing the above to a NAS or external hard drive.

Don't bother with a zip file. Far too much computational and wall clock time for very little space savings.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634312 by GWS

garyrhook wrote: The Lightroom catalog is a database that contains asset information and editing steps. Nothing more.

A backup of everything means

1. Knowing where your catalog is stored
  2. Knowing where your image files are stored
Shut down Lightroom (it can't be active when you make a copy of the catalog) and copy the folders containing the above to a NAS or external hard drive.

Don't bother with a zip file. Far too much computational and wall clock time for very little space savings.

Thank you for the help Gary. 

Now when I close out Lightroom, these are the only 2 options it's giving me:

The zip file was what it gave me when I saved the file doing the above.  I don't even see an option to not get that.  If I wanted to make sure all the photos that are stored in Lightroom are backed up, including the ones I edited, how can this be done?

Thanks again!

Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 month ago #634320 by garyrhook
I don't get that same dialog on Windoze, but nonetheless... there's a .zip file in the Backups folder when  I let it create one.

It's still just the catalog. And you might as well just copy everything. You can delete older backups that you are sure are unneeded, right?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634348 by KENT MELTON
Click on your main catalog, right click and click Find in Finder.  That should take you to your main folder.  Copy that to your back up location.  

hope that helps! 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634621 by Peter P

KENT MELTON wrote: Click on your main catalog, right click and click Find in Finder.  That should take you to your main folder.  Copy that to your back up location.  

hope that helps! 

:agree: that is one way of doing it, however it's not an easy fix as more images are added and you need to keep back ups.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634770 by Shadowfixer1
One thing to remember is images don't exist within Lightroom. The information on edits and the locations of those images are stored within the catalog but not the images themselves.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024