Topaz Labs Gigapixel for blowing up images for larger prints?

6 months 6 days ago #635036 by Ted Helm
Another photographer recommended this Gigapixel software from Topaz to me.  I had been asking about blowing up an image and how to maximize sharpness.  He was upfront with me and let me know that he had only heard of this software, however had not bought it.  I've searched their site and didn't find a trial for this.  They have a trial for everything else, but not this software.  Which could be a sign that it doesn't work.  Or, it could work really well, however they know people might just want it for one photo.  

They claim you can blow up photos upwards of 600%! And maintain detail.  However where they lose me a little is talking about blowing up cell phone photos.  They mention " iPhone photos that look like they came out of a DSLR." and talk about how this software adds detail back into your photos.  Just the iPhone remark, makes me wonder how legit this software is.

Have you tried this one?  If not, or know of a good way that I can blow up some photos for printing and keep as much detail, that would be great help.  

topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 6 days ago #635088 by Howard Swanson
Well I'm kind of torn on this.  Seems convincing.  This video is talking about 3600% more pixels

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago - 6 months 6 days ago #635102 by Eric A
At first I was thinking no way, but watching that video, it seems pretty convincing in the examples they used.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #635108 by garyrhook

Ted Helm wrote: They have a trial for everything else, but not this software.  Which could be a sign that it doesn't work.

There must be something seriously wrong with me.

I go to topazlabs.com, click on the Products menu at the top, click on AI Gigapixel, than scroll to the bottom of the page and find a button for the free trial.

There's a Topaz User's Group on Facebook where folks rave about the tool, and post many examples of their successful work.

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #635111 by Screamin Scott
I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #635134 by Jackson Rieger

Screamin Scott wrote: I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

What sort of specs are you running in your computer? 

Photo Comments

6 months 6 days ago #635135 by Crazyguy
So can you run any photo through this?  Like your already 6000 x 9000 image taken from your super awesome camera, and get something like a 20000 x 60000 size image out of it?  

Just making up crazy random numbers.  But is that how it would work? 

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments

6 months 5 days ago #635160 by Nikon Shooter
I was made curious by the commotion, so I did some tests.
I was at the marsh and shot a Gull (with the combo D850 +
600mm ƒ4) that I would not normally shoot because too far.

I processed the RAW, cropped it and the result is a jpg @ 1/12
of the full frame — allowing generous negative space around
the flying bird.

I processed the image (in the trial version) enlarging it by 6x
for a start.

I observe, 
  1. simple, trouble free installation on my Mac
  2. intuitive and clean interface
  3. fast processing — with the machine at my disposal
  4. I opened both the severely cropped original and the enlarged file in Preview
  • obvious difference in size @ 100%
  • the original was magnified in Preview to match the size of the processed file
CONCLUSIONS

1. I see a clear, read spectacular, difference in the noise reduction
applied to the enlarged image and a sharpening that is relatively
decent but not at all in the details where the magnified original has
not suffered much considering the heavy enlargement.

2. The pixel noise has disappeared! At such magnification, though,
it can be easily resolved in my RAW converter so I see nothing to
write home on this point.

3. Powerful software if one starts the processing with a less than
decent shot.

This is why it is so important to optimise captures — in every pos-
sible ways — prior to SR.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

6 months 5 days ago #635200 by Toby J
So keeping your trial in mind, will you be picking up this software?  LOL sorry had to ask.  Wanted to see if you were convinced enough of  the benefits.  

Photo Comments

6 months 5 days ago #635208 by Nikon Shooter

Toby J wrote: …Wanted to see if you were convinced enough of  the benefits.  

Me? No, I think not but here are some thoughts:

If someone has a great shot that is not at its best in terms
of resolution, a tad soft but properly exposed, this could
be an option.

I have the best of everything — or so I think! :P  — from gear
to machines and software. Add some knowledge, experience,
and skills in the equation, and I am not a reference for anyone
because not all have the same tools, approach and finality.

I do know that some may say: "You sound arrogant!" as I have
heard before but things are what they are… and this is why I
did not post my tests but my very personal conclusions, com-
ments and appreciations.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

6 months 5 days ago #635313 by Randall McNabb
WOW that is pretty impressive

Photo Comments

6 months 4 days ago #635388 by Foxy Girl
I had no idea what this was, and after looking at a number of videos that have been made by non related photographers, it looks pretty legit.  I'm going to download the trial and test on a few shots myself this week.  

Photo Comments

6 months 4 days ago #635432 by Adam S
There must be a weak link here somewhere.  As it expands, there must be data it picks up unless it makes it up.  Which might not match the true detail.  

But cool either way, a few more years refinement this is going to keep getting better and better!  

Photo Comments

5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #639297 by wdai03

Screamin Scott wrote: I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

I had similar issues. I had a few photos I wanted to enlarge but I didn't have a suitable graphics card for topaz to use, and running on cpu was a bit of a pain. A friend of mine has a similar tool on the cloud though, Www.synchronet.me if anyone wants to give it a try. Results were OK for me but I didn't really make detailed comparisons with other tools

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

If you're looking for the best laptop for photo editing, you've come to the right place. From the best budget laptop to laptops over $2,000, these computers will fit any budget.

Sep 10, 2019

In this Canon EOS M6 Mark II review, learn about the essential specs, features, pros, and cons of Canon's newest mirrorless camera.

Sep 10, 2019

The Canon T7i is an entry-level camera with some excellent features that will help you learn and grow as a photographer. Find out if it's the right camera for you in this Canon T7i review.

Sep 09, 2019
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Camera sling bags are a top choice for photographers that want functionality, comfort, and ease of use. Here's our pick for the top 5 camera sling bags of 2019.

Sep 18, 2019

Photo by Joe deSousa on Unsplash There are certain questionable tactics in the real estate game, like promising free pizzas for...

Sep 17, 2019

The Nikon D5 is a big professional camera, but is it worth the nearly $6,000 price tag? Find out in this Nikon D5 review.

Sep 16, 2019

Not sure what to give the photographer on your shopping list? With a $5,000 budget, the possibilities are endless! Check out our picks for the best gifts for photographers under $5,000.

Sep 13, 2019

With these innovative camera accessories, you can extend the functionality and ease of use of your camera and give yourself a better ability to capture the beauty around you.

Sep 12, 2019

Learn how to master the art of wide-angle landscape photography with four simple tips that will greatly improve the quality of your landscape photos.

Sep 12, 2019

Are you sick of your gear weighing your shoulders down, causing undue neck and shoulder pain? With the new Holdfast Gear Tanker Belt, you can carry your gear in total comfort on your hips.

Sep 12, 2019

Photo by Prince Akachi on Unsplash #NoBudgetNoPhotos is going viral after a photographer, Nafa Ribeiro, revealed damning emails...

Sep 12, 2019