Topaz Labs Gigapixel for blowing up images for larger prints?

5 years 1 month ago #635036 by Ted Helm
Another photographer recommended this Gigapixel software from Topaz to me.  I had been asking about blowing up an image and how to maximize sharpness.  He was upfront with me and let me know that he had only heard of this software, however had not bought it.  I've searched their site and didn't find a trial for this.  They have a trial for everything else, but not this software.  Which could be a sign that it doesn't work.  Or, it could work really well, however they know people might just want it for one photo.  

They claim you can blow up photos upwards of 600%! And maintain detail.  However where they lose me a little is talking about blowing up cell phone photos.  They mention " iPhone photos that look like they came out of a DSLR." and talk about how this software adds detail back into your photos.  Just the iPhone remark, makes me wonder how legit this software is.

Have you tried this one?  If not, or know of a good way that I can blow up some photos for printing and keep as much detail, that would be great help.  

topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635088 by Howard Swanson
Well I'm kind of torn on this.  Seems convincing.  This video is talking about 3600% more pixels

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635102 by Eric A
At first I was thinking no way, but watching that video, it seems pretty convincing in the examples they used.  

My Camera Bag:

Canon 7D | 50mm f/1.2 | 17-40mm f/4 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 320EX | 580EXII

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635108 by garyrhook

Ted Helm wrote: They have a trial for everything else, but not this software.  Which could be a sign that it doesn't work.

There must be something seriously wrong with me.

I go to topazlabs.com, click on the Products menu at the top, click on AI Gigapixel, than scroll to the bottom of the page and find a button for the free trial.

There's a Topaz User's Group on Facebook where folks rave about the tool, and post many examples of their successful work.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635111 by Screamin Scott
I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635134 by Jackson Rieger

Screamin Scott wrote: I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

What sort of specs are you running in your computer? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635135 by Crazyguy
So can you run any photo through this?  Like your already 6000 x 9000 image taken from your super awesome camera, and get something like a 20000 x 60000 size image out of it?  

Just making up crazy random numbers.  But is that how it would work? 

An Irishman is not drunk as long as he can hold on to one blade of grass to keep from falling off the world.
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635160 by Nikon Shooter
I was made curious by the commotion, so I did some tests.
I was at the marsh and shot a Gull (with the combo D850 +
600mm ƒ4) that I would not normally shoot because too far.

I processed the RAW, cropped it and the result is a jpg @ 1/12
of the full frame — allowing generous negative space around
the flying bird.

I processed the image (in the trial version) enlarging it by 6x
for a start.

I observe, 
  1. simple, trouble free installation on my Mac
  2. intuitive and clean interface
  3. fast processing — with the machine at my disposal
  4. I opened both the severely cropped original and the enlarged file in Preview
  • obvious difference in size @ 100%
  • the original was magnified in Preview to match the size of the processed file
CONCLUSIONS

1. I see a clear, read spectacular, difference in the noise reduction
applied to the enlarged image and a sharpening that is relatively
decent but not at all in the details where the magnified original has
not suffered much considering the heavy enlargement.

2. The pixel noise has disappeared! At such magnification, though,
it can be easily resolved in my RAW converter so I see nothing to
write home on this point.

3. Powerful software if one starts the processing with a less than
decent shot.

This is why it is so important to optimise captures — in every pos-
sible ways — prior to SR.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635200 by Toby J
So keeping your trial in mind, will you be picking up this software?  LOL sorry had to ask.  Wanted to see if you were convinced enough of  the benefits.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635208 by Nikon Shooter

Toby J wrote: …Wanted to see if you were convinced enough of  the benefits.  

Me? No, I think not but here are some thoughts:

If someone has a great shot that is not at its best in terms
of resolution, a tad soft but properly exposed, this could
be an option.

I have the best of everything — or so I think! :P  — from gear
to machines and software. Add some knowledge, experience,
and skills in the equation, and I am not a reference for anyone
because not all have the same tools, approach and finality.

I do know that some may say: "You sound arrogant!" as I have
heard before but things are what they are… and this is why I
did not post my tests but my very personal conclusions, com-
ments and appreciations.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635313 by Randall McNabb
WOW that is pretty impressive

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635388 by Foxy Girl
I had no idea what this was, and after looking at a number of videos that have been made by non related photographers, it looks pretty legit.  I'm going to download the trial and test on a few shots myself this week.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635432 by Adam S
There must be a weak link here somewhere.  As it expands, there must be data it picks up unless it makes it up.  Which might not match the true detail.  

But cool either way, a few more years refinement this is going to keep getting better and better!  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago - 5 years 2 weeks ago #639297 by wdai03

Screamin Scott wrote: I bought the software and it does a good job. Just make sure your system falls within the requirements. I had to get a more powerful Graphics card...

I had similar issues. I had a few photos I wanted to enlarge but I didn't have a suitable graphics card for topaz to use, and running on cpu was a bit of a pain. A friend of mine has a similar tool on the cloud though, Www.synchronet.me if anyone wants to give it a try. Results were OK for me but I didn't really make detailed comparisons with other tools

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024