Photoshop - The Program Photographers Love To Hate

5 years 1 month ago #635720 by DanielPSAC
I've been using Adobe Photoshop since I was 14. I could only afford Photoshop 7 at the time. It was pretty expensive even though it wasn't the most recent version.

I've tried to get involved on a few other forums before I came here, and this forum is probably the most photoshop friendly.

For this reason, I'm hoping to win some hearts and minds here as I think Photoshop gets a bad rep and unfairly.

Here's some of what I'm seeing:

- Other forums said $9.99 was a rip-off for Photoshop. Looking back on how much I was paying prior to the subscription model - I am saving money.

- People are saying that there isn't enough difference between versions. This simply isn't a fact either, since CS6 there's been a number of core releases and a total of around 30 new versions. (Check their release history).

- People say it can't process RAW. Not true, there is a way to do it.

- Lots of other things not based on fact.

Photoshop has become something people love to hate... It's more affordable than ever, more powerful than ever. 

Surely if Photoshop still cost close to a thousand dollars people would be even more pissed off? 

People conveniently forget that Photoshop Actions save HOURS every time you edit. That batch watermarking, raw > jpeg conversion and much more are all there.

SO what's the real issue?

There's a number of things.

1. Other programs have popped up. At my last count, there are around 45 different competing photo editing "apps". They're all taking a swipe at Photoshop. Their affiliates have a vested interest in changing the narrative. It's easier to fool someone than convince them they've been fooled after all.

2. Photoshop is kind of complicated, and it can/will make you feel stupid as a beginner. It's easy to turn that fragility against the program rather than accept we can't all learn something the second we get started.

3. Adobe cannibalized Photoshop with Lightroom (to accommodate point 2) and then bundled them together for a single price which makes 0 sense and so people feel they're paying for something they don't want regardless of which you choose.

There are some other good programs out there...

But to give Photoshop criticism for the reasons I've stated IS unfair.

A lot of Photographers I've met would rather blindly hate it then just give it a chance. It's a lot easier to learn than it was in the late 90s and early 00s. Same as anything, there's a tutorial for everything nowadays.

I think Photoshop remains king and for my business it does everything I need. It's much more than just a photo editing suite because I can create business cards, flyers and more. Not all programs can do this as well. I know if I was a beginner I would prefer to pay $9.99 and get really good at one program than pay for multiple and learn them all from scratch.

TL;DR Use what you want but don't unfairly bash a program that could really help someone.

5 years 1 month ago - 5 years 1 month ago #635736 by Nikon Shooter
:welcomeclan

I went away, many years ago, from the adobe subscription
model after I found applications to replace those I used in
the CS6 MC I owned — and sold since then.

Incidentally, I found products that fit my production needs 
very well.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636076 by Street Shark
Well, I like it.  The only time I struggled with my indifferent opinion of it, was when I first started and was a little frustrated with the learning curve.   IMO $9.99 isn't bad price, when you factor in everything you are getting.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024