How to recover raw photos corrupted during file transfer?

5 years 1 week ago #639259 by Steve Zahra
I just got a call from a friend who is overseas at the moment and tried to transfer files  from his SD card to his computer and when he went to check the files he noticed the images were corrupted during the transfer.  

How can you recover raw photos in a situation like this?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639288 by Nikon Shooter
Steve, so the files didn't get safely at destination but they were
COPIED there… that means they are still on the original medium!

Delete the faulty files and just start a new copy! :P

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639290 by GaryA
If the source has become corrupted, there are several recovery apps available that should be able to restore/find the image files.  If the source is corrupted, do not use the card or format the card until the recovery app has a chance to do its thing.  A Google search will bring up a host of programs designed to restore corrupted files.  They cost around $80, IIRC.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.
www: garyayala.com

5 years 1 week ago #639354 by Ian Stone
Are you able to view the images on the camera (card installed of course)?  If so, delete the first install attempt and re-download images.  That should do the trick.  

Just don't accidentally format the card!  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641083 by Goerud
If these photos has not been successfully transfered to computer from SD card,these photos can even be found from SD card,and do not use an SD card until it is restored,get a data recovery software to scan the SD card.

4 years 11 months ago #643419 by wgabbit

GaryA wrote: If the source has become corrupted, there are several recovery apps available that should be able to restore/find the image files.  If the source is corrupted, do not use the card or format the card until the recovery app has a chance to do its thing.  A Google search will bring up a host of programs designed to restore corrupted files.  They cost around $80, IIRC.

Most of them crap. Make sure test them out first before making a purchase

4 years 11 months ago #643552 by Steve Zahra
All set guys, thank you all for the help.  Sorry, I thought I had responded already! 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #643930 by wgabbit

Steve Zahra wrote: All set guys, thank you all for the help.  Sorry, I thought I had responded already! 

This is your first reply to this thread. Could you mind sharing the details? This might help others in future.

4 years 11 months ago #643937 by mariablassingame
 I don't very perceive what you probably did.

But within the future, you may wish to 1st COPY the files to the new location, and then, if everything went alright, delete the files from the supply.

It's best to repeat (as you said), however not use a laptop to delete the files. simply use the cardboard till it's full so(after repeating the last pictures) format the cardboard within the camera.

Copy-paste-delete, rather than moving or cut-paste.

For example, I exploit Lightroom, I insert the cardboard within the reader, import victimization copy, and if all went ok, I swap my card within the camera, and format it, within the camera.

I use Total Commander for the repeating. it is a terribly helpful file manager.

4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #644105 by Goerud

Goerud wrote: If these photos has not been successfully transfered to computer from SD card,these photos can even be found from SD card,and do not use an SD card until it is restored,get a data recovery software to scan the SD card.
www.tunesbro.com/recover-deleted-photos-...rmatted-sd-card.html

Again, scanning an SD card is helpful,the lost or deleted data (Photos) can be found.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024