Pro photographers use programs like Luminar in post work?

6 days 5 hours ago #639931 by Brody Kross
A friend just emailed me an email they got from a company called Luminar.  Talking about some new AI filter just released or something like that.  

I'm just curious do pro's use programs like this or is this aimed more at the consumer side of photography?  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 days 5 hours ago #639932 by Nikon Shooter
Personally, I don't use it and I know of no colleague
that is using it… but that's just in my limited circle.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

6 days 1 hour ago #639943 by Moe
They have a limited purpose but do work well but can easily be over done.

Photo Comments

5 days 1 hour ago #640070 by Kenta
I use it, but wouldn't say I'm a professional.  Solid program.

Photo Comments

4 days 13 hours ago #640174 by Alvin Pignotti
Like most programs like this, it has it's time and place.  The AI is untouched here.  IMO you can use what ever gets the job done with out going overboard.  Just keep that in mind.   

4 days 9 hours ago #640211 by garyrhook

Brody Kross wrote: A friend just emailed me an email they got from a company called Luminar.  Talking about some new AI filter just released or something like that.  

I'm just curious do pro's use programs like this or is this aimed more at the consumer side of photography?  

Define "pro"?

For me, "pros" (e.g. professionals that don't use apostrophes where they don't belong) will use whatever they need to get the job done.

Luminar is working hard to become competitive against LR, On1RAW, C1. They have a way to go, but Skylum has an account here on PT, and you have only to look at some of the images posted (and that have been made IPotD) to recognize that they're not kidding around.

I have a copy of Luminar 3, but haven't had the opportunity to explore it enough to become adept. But discounting it as a "toy" without actual knowledge is, IMNSHO, a mistake.

Photo Comments

4 days 7 hours ago #640234 by Rick Larin
:agree:  Yup.  My thoughts as well.  Plus who cares who uses what.  If the 'tool' does what you want, and it fits into your flow, use it.  

People get to worked up over who is using what these days.  Just use it if it does the right job. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear