How to blow up old 5x7 photo for larger print

4 years 10 months ago #642029 by Ruben H
Would I just somehow scan this into my computer and then print at larger size?  Or is there some software that will help render the scanned 5x7 for a larger print size?

We have an old shot of my wifes parents we'd like to get blown up.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642031 by Troponin
Modern scanners work pretty well, but they still typically lack dynamic range and usually detail compared to other methods, You will need a very good one. 

The best option is usually a macro lens and a studio. Today’s macro lenses are incredibly sharp and you lose almost nothing when the photo is transferred. 

There are also some tech companies that can do it for you. There is a printing company close to me that has the top scanners and printers you can get (Talking in the millions of dollars worth of equipment). They have done a few scans from newer photos and they look really good. Not sure about vintage stuff though. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642032 by Nikon Shooter
I don't use flat bed scanners because it would be redundant.
I prefer to use a copy stand that I made and one of my D8XX
series cameras that will capture to a very decent pixel count,

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642046 by Ruben H

Troponin wrote: Modern scanners work pretty well, but they still typically lack dynamic range and usually detail compared to other methods, You will need a very good one. 

The best option is usually a macro lens and a studio. Today’s macro lenses are incredibly sharp and you lose almost nothing when the photo is transferred. 

There are also some tech companies that can do it for you. There is a printing company close to me that has the top scanners and printers you can get (Talking in the millions of dollars worth of equipment). They have done a few scans from newer photos and they look really good. Not sure about vintage stuff though. 

Gotcha, great idea.  So will that carry the same resolution as any other shot I would normally take even though this was originally a 5x7?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642047 by Ruben H

Nikon Shooter wrote: I don't use flat bed scanners because it would be redundant.
I prefer to use a copy stand that I made and one of my D8XX
series cameras that will capture to a very decent pixel count,

Thank you as well, I'm going to give this a shot when I get home later.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642048 by Troponin

Ruben H wrote:

Troponin wrote: Modern scanners work pretty well, but they still typically lack dynamic range and usually detail compared to other methods, You will need a very good one. 

Gotcha, great idea.  So will that carry the same resolution as any other shot I would normally take even though this was originally a 5x7?

It will preserve as much as possible for enlarging, however, it won’t have the same quality as a photo from your camera, shot in RAW, and printed in tif format. A macro lens will allow for some slight sharpening and some color alterations that might actually improve the photo a bit too, but depending on the quality of the original, it’s hard to say. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642133 by Ruben H
Roger that.  Thanks again!

Now I tried my first go at this.  This particular print has a little glare to it and it seemed at least in my current lighting hard to get a non glare version.  Actually would this work in a black light box?

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642645 by Harrison J
Interesting, so are you saying you can get better results from taking a photo than scanning?  If you don't have a macro lens, will something like a 50mm work? 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642656 by garyrhook

Harrison J wrote: Interesting, so are you saying you can get better results from taking a photo than scanning?  If you don't have a macro lens, will something like a 50mm work? 

You want a lens that is 1:1 if you want to capture every detail of that print. And longer is better, geometrically speaking. That said, Any shorter focal length will let you get close enough to the print to apply decent resolution.

Then you use Photoshop to clean it up. You might want to consider Topaz Labs' Gigapixel for enlarging, along with other tools for cleanup.

I am unable to clean my scanner perfectly, so I always get lint and dust. Very annoying. You could always find a facility with a drum scanner and pay someone to scan it.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #642662 by Troponin
Gary pretty much covers it. The 1/1 and relatively sharp lenses make them ideal. 

Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #663293 by Max-Muller
but who could advise a good photo scanner?

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024