What software to get to edit photos?

4 years 11 months ago #644025 by Liem Stailey
I bought a used Canon 5D Mark II a few weeks ago.  I have all these photos I have taken with it and now I want to learn how to edit.   I typed into Google "Best software to edit photos" and holly smokes, there are so many to pick from!

I don't have a lot of money, which is also why I bought my camera used.  So I can't afford making any wrong decisions. 

Which is a good cost efficient, yet popular software to use to edit my photos?

Thank you very much for your assistance. 

-Liem

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644054 by Nikon Shooter
To edit photos I use Affinity Photo; it is powerful,
easy, fast and reliable… I think it is around 50$.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644060 by garyrhook
Most of the bigger titles offer a trial period.

There's Affinity (mentioned above), On1RAW, Capture One (C1), Lightroom (LR), Luminar, Paint Shop Pro (PSP), etc.

In addition, there's more than just editing. LR, for example, provides digital asset management (DAM) features, which can be extremely useful.

Pick one of the options, and purpose to install and use it to learn about it. Then try another. Then a third. One of them will make the most sense, and provide the features you seek.

Most come in at $100 - $150 in price. If budget is a significant concern, then Affinity or PSP may bet your best bet.

You'll also quickly find that storage space will be needed as you capture more images. Photography can be a financial rabbit hole. Just sayin'....

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644063 by Nikon Shooter
Capture One is NOT an editor but strictly a developer-converter.
I understood Liem was asking for an editor!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644065 by Nikon Shooter
Affinity Photo is an editor that can develop a RAW file
but no in the way CO or LR would,

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644068 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Capture One is NOT an editor but strictly a developer-converter.
I understood Liem was asking for an editor!

Without a definition for the term, directly from the OP, one can only presume to know precisely what was meant by the question, don't you think?

I simply provided options based on the given information, without reading too much into it. There are free trials. The OP is encouraged to explore them all, and decide appropriately.

Good answer requires good questions. Short of that, one does the best one can.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644072 by Chuck Liley
You'll want something to catalog your photos as well.  That will make your life 100% easier later down the road.  

Lightroom.  Plus there are a zillion tutorials online on how to use it

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644076 by Liem Stailey
I get it, I'm the new guy.  As I put in another thread here.  I'm finding myself overwhelmed with this new camera and this huge learning curve I didn't know about prior to buying it.  I'm excited and wish I knew all the jargon, but that will come with time.  

I just want the ability to edit my photos, something that is good for someone just getting started and I can learn how to use pretty easily.  

I have been doing Google searches and dang, there are so many options on everything.  Was hoping for a clearer answer on what direction I should go.  

Thank you, I will check out the recommendations you all made.  

Liem  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644078 by Chuck Liley

Liem Stailey wrote: I get it, I'm the new guy.  As I put in another thread here.  I'm finding myself overwhelmed with this new camera and this huge learning curve I didn't know about prior to buying it.  I'm excited and wish I knew all the jargon, but that will come with time.  

I just want the ability to edit my photos, something that is good for someone just getting started and I can learn how to use pretty easily.  

I have been doing Google searches and dang, there are so many options on everything.  Was hoping for a clearer answer on what direction I should go.  

Thank you, I will check out the recommendations you all made.  

Liem  

You don't need to explain yourself, we all have been there at one point!  Welcome here and congrats on taking the first step.  As Gary pointed out or someone did, most of these have free trials.  So play around with them, watch some video's and you'll be all set.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644079 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: Good answer requires good questions. Short of that, one does the best one can.

Absolutely, well done!

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644095 by Liem Stailey
Thank you again!  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644102 by garyrhook
I just checked the Corel website, and they are currently offering the PaintShop Pro 2019 Ultimate bundle for $50. Looks to be quite a steal.

Just an FYI.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644126 by Owen
Also, have you looked at Luminar?  It's an out of the box easy program to use.  They offer a free trial too. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #644321 by Overread

Owen wrote: Also, have you looked at Luminar?  It's an out of the box easy program to use.  They offer a free trial too. 

+1 Luminar is good because it has  many presets that beginners can use.  Also Topaz Labs is a  very popular  choice. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024