Image won't save from Photoshop back to Lightroom?

4 years 10 months ago #645734 by Scuba Mike
Usually when I work on an image in Photoshop that was originally in Lightroom.  I'm able to hit save from Photoshop and it will save the altered copy back into Lightroom.  It's not doing that now.  I'm on a Macbook if it makes any difference.  

But I didn't do anything different.  The image was in Lightroom, I then right clicked and selected "edit in Photoshop".  Like I always do.  I did what I needed to the shot in Photoshop and hit Command +S and usually that will save the image back to LR.  Well it didn't this time.  

What has happened here?  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645801 by Troponin
I was under the impression you can export to PS from LR, but not the other way around due to the way the two programs work. 

The latest update changed some things though. I haven't read all of the details, but it looks like they may have defaulted some settings as well as moved a couple things around or added shortcuts. I haven't played with mine in the last week, but I assume I will run in to a few road bumps too. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645819 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: I was under the impression you can export to PS from LR, but not the other way around due to the way the two programs work.

Not quite.

From LR, if one right-clicks (Windoze here) and selects "Edit in Photoshop", LR will generate a PSD (or TIFF) file, after applying LR adjustments, and send that image to PS. When PS is done and saves the file (using the same name created by LR) then LR will see that file, and incorporate it into the library. It stacks the new file with the original, keeping them together.

Nothing in any CC updates has changed this behavior, and I'm up to date. No problems here.

OP: You might have to uninstall and reinstall one or both applications. If something has gone awry, that may be the only way to repair it. I'd start with Lightroom.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 10 months ago #645843 by MYoung
Did you save the photo already in Photoshop to desktop or something?  That will prevent it from going back to LR.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #645845 by mariablassingame
First, in my viewpoint, Lightroom is ineffective without the right file kind from your cam. So I establish my cam to record pictures as Raw documents, at the greatest resolution offered.

Next, I utilize Lightroom as a digital darkroom. This is the location to modify direct exposure, enhance comparison, and to deal with shade casts. If I wish to add or get rid of elements from the image, I export the photo as a DNG (digital adverse). After that, I will certainly open it in Photoshop as well as utilize layers to make any kind of renovations.

In fact, concerning a month ago I switched over to the On1 collection of products; On1 Image Raw changes Lightroom and also for me is much easier to make use of as well as much quicker, you likewise do not need to import anything, following comes On1 Picture, which simplifies the most typical photographic usages for Photoshop. It also has a Picture panel to simplify the procedure of retouching faces, there are also similar panels to enhance as well as include results, it's all done on layers so anything you do is non-destructive.

4 years 10 months ago #645965 by garyrhook

MYoung wrote: Did you save the photo already in Photoshop to desktop or something?  That will prevent it from going back to LR.

Only if you change the name, file type, or location. If you just "save" and quit, LR is supposed to be notified of the updating of the new file.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646120 by Don Granger

garyrhook wrote:

MYoung wrote: Did you save the photo already in Photoshop to desktop or something?  That will prevent it from going back to LR.

Only if you change the name, file type, or location. If you just "save" and quit, LR is supposed to be notified of the updating of the new file.

+1 Yep

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #646184 by Sean Lamber
Can't you just save it from Photoshop to your desktop or wherever, and then import that saved image into Lightroom?

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024