Crop before editting photos or after?

4 years 10 months ago #648441 by Paris Gal
Do you feel it makes any difference to when you crop an image.  A friend and I were just talking about this.  What's funny is she is on the side that crops first, I prefer to crop after.  As I see it, after you edit a photo, you might crop an image slightly different.  See my point?  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #648443 by Troponin

Paris Gal wrote: Do you feel it makes any difference to when you crop an image.  A friend and I were just talking about this.  What's funny is she is on the side that crops first, I prefer to crop after.  As I see it, after you edit a photo, you might crop an image slightly different.  See my point?  

Always crop first. The reason why is that, when I am trying to balance out my dynamic range, sometimes there are areas that are lighter or darker than the area I am going to crop. These areas will clip before my cropped area will, giving me a "false" sense that my dynamic range is good. Once you crop, you will see the histogram actually change to show you the range in the new area. Vignette is also applied to the current crop, and when you recrop, you might have to readjust the vignette as well. There are other ways to work this out without cropping, but it's more work, IMO. 

This is all part of your work flow. It makes editing more efficient and enjoyable if you have a lot of photos 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648447 by Nikon Shooter
Technically, it will make marginally any difference in a better
converter.

I usually prefer to do it rather late in the development unless
the crop is obvious from the very beginning.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648480 by garyrhook
I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

It's easy enough to ignore areas that you intend to crop later, and the histogram is only a guide for your eye.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648481 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote: I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

It's easy enough to ignore areas that you intend to crop later, and the histogram is only a guide for your eye.

I should have specified, I use LR, and I am never editing a RAW in an unrecoverable manner. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648493 by Moossmann
Same here, I crop as one of the final things I do to the photo.  Although I do agree, it doesn't make a difference as technically you can revert back a crop in Lightroom.  

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648603 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

I should have specified, I use LR, and I am never editing a RAW in an unrecoverable manner. 

My comment was general. I use LR, too, but also PS, which is not non-linear. And I use plug-ins that create rasters that can't be reversed. Defining a workflow that accommodates one's needs is critical, but usually based on trial-and-error. At least, it was for me.

Given that LR works on a preview when editing, I'm not entirely sure cropping early or late matters.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648621 by Shadowfixer1
Photoshop can crop non-destructively also. Just make sure you uncheck the "delete cropped pixels" box in the ribbon. You can then revert to the original if you want to at a later date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 10 months ago #648640 by Pete Franko
Makes no difference IMHO.  Personally I edit on the back side most of the time.

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648681 by Steve Zahra
I always crop  in the beginning of the post editing process.  For me it helps me keep focus and frame up the final shot. 

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #648769 by Little Kate
I guess it doesn't matter, but I usually will do in the beginning.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #649975 by Vincent
Usually after, no reason, just how I do it.  

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024