Crop before editting photos or after?

4 years 9 months ago #648441 by Paris Gal
Do you feel it makes any difference to when you crop an image.  A friend and I were just talking about this.  What's funny is she is on the side that crops first, I prefer to crop after.  As I see it, after you edit a photo, you might crop an image slightly different.  See my point?  

5D mark II gripped | Canon 100L | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 50 1.4 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 580ex II | 430ex II x 2 |
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #648443 by Troponin

Paris Gal wrote: Do you feel it makes any difference to when you crop an image.  A friend and I were just talking about this.  What's funny is she is on the side that crops first, I prefer to crop after.  As I see it, after you edit a photo, you might crop an image slightly different.  See my point?  

Always crop first. The reason why is that, when I am trying to balance out my dynamic range, sometimes there are areas that are lighter or darker than the area I am going to crop. These areas will clip before my cropped area will, giving me a "false" sense that my dynamic range is good. Once you crop, you will see the histogram actually change to show you the range in the new area. Vignette is also applied to the current crop, and when you recrop, you might have to readjust the vignette as well. There are other ways to work this out without cropping, but it's more work, IMO. 

This is all part of your work flow. It makes editing more efficient and enjoyable if you have a lot of photos 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648447 by Nikon Shooter
Technically, it will make marginally any difference in a better
converter.

I usually prefer to do it rather late in the development unless
the crop is obvious from the very beginning.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648480 by garyrhook
I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

It's easy enough to ignore areas that you intend to crop later, and the histogram is only a guide for your eye.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648481 by Troponin

garyrhook wrote: I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

It's easy enough to ignore areas that you intend to crop later, and the histogram is only a guide for your eye.

I should have specified, I use LR, and I am never editing a RAW in an unrecoverable manner. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648493 by Moossmann
Same here, I crop as one of the final things I do to the photo.  Although I do agree, it doesn't make a difference as technically you can revert back a crop in Lightroom.  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648603 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote:

garyrhook wrote: I crop last. I keep unrecoverable decisions at the very end of the editing process, along with edits that have to be applied to the final image.

I should have specified, I use LR, and I am never editing a RAW in an unrecoverable manner. 

My comment was general. I use LR, too, but also PS, which is not non-linear. And I use plug-ins that create rasters that can't be reversed. Defining a workflow that accommodates one's needs is critical, but usually based on trial-and-error. At least, it was for me.

Given that LR works on a preview when editing, I'm not entirely sure cropping early or late matters.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648621 by Shadowfixer1
Photoshop can crop non-destructively also. Just make sure you uncheck the "delete cropped pixels" box in the ribbon. You can then revert to the original if you want to at a later date.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 9 months ago #648640 by Pete Franko
Makes no difference IMHO.  Personally I edit on the back side most of the time.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648681 by Steve Zahra
I always crop  in the beginning of the post editing process.  For me it helps me keep focus and frame up the final shot. 

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #648769 by Little Kate
I guess it doesn't matter, but I usually will do in the beginning.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649975 by Vincent
Usually after, no reason, just how I do it.  

Nikon D700 | 14-24mm f/2.8G ED | 24-70mm f/2.8G ED | 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II | (2) SB-900
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024