The Missing Bit… Publisher

4 years 8 months ago #650523 by Nikon Shooter
As all should know by now. I never adhered to the Adobe subscription
model. In fact, I repacked Lr very fast, Ps and Ai followed soon after.

My remaining problem was InD. This very good software was not to be
beaten apparently by anyone. When I got British made Serif's softwares,
Affinity Photo (pixel editor) and Affinity Designer (vector graphics) it
was promised that Affinity Publisher (for layouts and publishing) should
follow in a very near future. On that, I tested & adopted Serif's solutions.

We had to wait a few years more before Publisher was presented as Beta
version and, though it look good, there were too many bugs for sure. I did
test all the Beta versions and it was quite promising. When version 1.7 hit
the market, it was fast, reliable, and was close enough to motivate me to
buy it and dump InD as my main layout and publishing application. Right,
it is not yet as extended as InD. and Serif hasn't said it's last word yet…
and I can be Adobe free.

One thing is quite spectacular after a month: file size — as seen on the pict
bellow.

The same tables — 28, 29, 30,  and 31 days months time sheets for employ
ees on four single pages — and three layers in InD. vs 7 layers in Publisher
(I changed strategy!) produce native files that are 50 TIMES SMALLER!

Every time an InD file is opened and saved, it grows exponentially. I did
open the Publisher file to work on it and saved it several times but it stay-
ed small :)  One has to save as a new InD file to keep it small.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650557 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day NS

Pleased to see that you are successful using "non-mainstream software" where the majority of lemmings in the user community just follow everyone else...

I found this back in the 80s & 90s when producing training materials for my adult-ed college notes. Although training in MS Office my notes were created using non-MS software [as it was more reliable] and produced a much smaller file when completed. I could produce a 120-page book with full illustrations and screen-dump images with a file under 1,44Mb [back in floppy disk days], whereas others using MS office were creating files up to 15 to 20Mb for the same type of output. Totally weird :(

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 8 months ago - 4 years 8 months ago #650560 by Nikon Shooter

Ozzie_Traveller wrote:  file under 1,44Mb [back in floppy disk days],

Hi Phil,

are you referring to the hip ZIP disks by Iomega?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650614 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

Nup - the Iomega Zip Disks were 1 or 2 Gb... not Mb
I was referring to the very basic 1,44Mb floppy disks pioneered by Apple and taken up by all PC users following on from there

Phil

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024