Lightroom catalog be stored on USB-C external SSD hard drive

4 years 9 months ago #650953 by Orlando Bohland
Just as the title asks, can I set up Lightroom catalog to be stored on USB-C external SSD hard drive?  To free up local hard drive space?  

Understanding that I would always need to have the external hard drive plugged in when accessing Lightroom.  Can this be done?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650971 by Nikon Shooter
Sure, no problem.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651042 by Orlando Bohland
Good news.  Thank you for verifying.   Can I assume I just plug and route or assign the external drive?  Anything tricky I need to do?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651053 by Nikon Shooter
If you work in session like me, no. Just drop your folder
on the destination drive and you're good to go.

If you work in library or catalogue… can't help you there.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651061 by garyrhook
Since I use the product, let me see if I can be helpful.

The catalog must be on a local drive; it can't be on a network drive. That means it must reside on an internal or otherwise physically attached drive.

The catalog is where all of the LR metadata is kept. It's not your files.

Your files can reside anywhere on your system, including network-attached storage. You always manage your images from within LR, never in the operating system. That way, LR knows where to find things.

As you can see, there are two parts here. I'm guessing from your question that you hadn't considered this.

If you have an external drive, you can move your images to that drive, and leave your catalog on the internal drive. You can configure LR to use smart previews, which allow you to work on images even when the original file isn't available. Thus, if you had a laptop, and left your external storage at home, you'd still be able to edit. Once you get back and plug in the drive, LR will do whatever housekeeping is necessary to sync everything up.

In short: you can put your images wherever you want, local or external or network. The catalog must be local, but that can be internal or external; just not network.

I think most folks keep the catalog on an internal drive, as it's usually faster to access that way. Even when images are elsewhere.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651106 by Carry
Didn't know that!

"If you have an external drive, you can move your images to that drive, and leave your catalog on the internal drive. You can configure LR to use smart previews, which allow you to work on images even when the original file isn't available. Thus, if you had a laptop, and left your external storage at home, you'd still be able to edit. Once you get back and plug in the drive, LR will do whatever housekeeping is necessary to sync everything up."

How does it do that if it doesn't have the complete file and data?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #651113 by Shadowfixer1
It's magic!
4 years 9 months ago #651188 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It's magic!

:rofl:

The previews are stored in the catalog. It doesn't read the file every time you access it. You can build "standard", "1:1", or "Smart" previews, depending upon your needs.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024