Editing photos on your iPad with Lightroom

4 years 9 months ago #652083 by Tony Imaging
Yesterday I would have thought editing photos on iPad more as a novelty.  However I subscribe to Peter McKinnon on YouTube and just watched his video from yesterday and I think I'm kind of sold on this idea.

Now half of me thinks yeah, this could be a good idea, while the other half things he might have been trying to sell his Lightroom Presets.

Have you tried editing on your iPad?

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652125 by garyrhook
Yes.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #652141 by Nikon Shooter
No, not on mine but students had to go that way because
  1. the money was not there for a working station and/ or
  2. they don't ambition to go RAW.
Personally, I wouldn't go for it as it is not compatible with my
projects and workflow.

NB: presets are not teaching you how to cook — read to render!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652162 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: No, not on mine but students had to go that way because

projects and workflow.

Why the "they don't ambition to go RAW" comment. You work on RAW files on the iPad just like a desktop except you use Lightroom and not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom is cloud based so the images are in the cloud. Your comment doesn't necessarily apply. It may apply if using other software but not Lightroom.
4 years 8 months ago #652190 by MM Images

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

projects and workflow.

Why the "they don't ambition to go RAW" comment. You work on RAW files on the iPad just like a desktop except you use Lightroom and not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom is cloud based so the images are in the cloud. Your comment doesn't necessarily apply. It may apply if using other software but not Lightroom.

So would have access to edited photos on all devices with LR cloud installed? Or do you have to download the image each time?  I have LR classic.  But would be nice to have a more shared environment with my photos.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652191 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Why the "they don't ambition to go RAW" comment.

Because…
  • tablets don't have the computing power of workstations
  • there is no way to calibrate the tablet screen as well
Sure, if one has only very few files to work but can be of more
interest for jpg shooters.

Just observe the way he works on his tablet sliding from an end
to the other…

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652192 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Why the "they don't ambition to go RAW" comment.

Just observe the way he works on his tablet sliding from an end
to the other…

That's the way he works. Nothing to do with the iPad. I think you don't completely understand how Lightroom and the iPad work together.
4 years 8 months ago #652193 by Shadowfixer1

MM Images wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

projects and workflow.

So would have access to edited photos on all devices with LR cloud installed? Or do you have to download the image each time?  I have LR classic.  But would be nice to have a more shared environment with my photos.  

It works on the images in the cloud. I consider it like working on images by remote control. The iPad is like the controller for a drone. You manipulate the iPad but the results take place elsewhere.
4 years 8 months ago #652202 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

• tablets don't have the computing power of workstations

Define "workstation"? That's always been a moving target.

And it's not universally true. The high end iPad Pro and the MS Surface, by way of example, are perfectly suitable to doing "real work".

• there is no way to calibrate the tablet screen as well

That's not entirely true either. For example, Pantone's ColorTrue app (iOS) supports calibration (on certain models) using certain devices.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #652203 by garyrhook

MM Images wrote: So would have access to edited photos on all devices with LR cloud installed? Or do you have to download the image each time?  I have LR classic.  But would be nice to have a more shared environment with my photos.  

If you want to have your images in LR Classic, but access them on your iPad using the mobile app, you:
  • Create a collection
  • Set that collection to sync with the iPad
  • On the iPad, you'll work with a Smart Preview. Changes get synced back to LR Classic.
  • Your RAW file stays on your desktop/laptop system.
Getting this set up the first time takes a bit of learning, but I went through it so I could use the iPad to cull 14K photos. Turned out to be a good way to work.

Additionally, I've moved JPGs off of my Nikons and tweaked them on the iPad. You can't get the RAW files over to the tablet, but you wouldn't want to do that anyways: they're too large.

The Smart Previews work a treat, IMHO.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Troponin
4 years 8 months ago #653631 by Tiffany Miller
Lightroom for iPad and also apple iphone are currently definitely cost-free, no desktop computer application or subscription needed. Something Adobe really did not explain in its existing flurry of thing news is that its Lightroom for iPad and also apple iphone applications are now offered for any person to make use of, definitely cost-free.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024