Topaz Gigapixel AI work?

4 years 8 months ago #653002 by Jennifer Krueger
Before I send out $100 bucks for this.  I wanted to check with you to see if you had any experience or knew anything about this software -  https://topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai/

Let me know please.  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653004 by Nikon Shooter
Spending money when it's need is very ok but you could
save it if you make sure to AF fine tune the used combos
and chose the optimised focus acquisition prior to SR!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653030 by garyrhook
I don't use it myself, as I rarely need to upsize an image.

There are Topaz groups on Facebook, and they are frequented by folks that use the product. TL also has a forum at discuss.topazlabs.com, where you may be able to find out more about user experiences.

May I ask what projects you have that might require the use of this software?

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653060 by Chester Foster
Haven't tried this and was just looking at it.  Man, there has to be some serious code there to make this happen as they market it.  That said, and assuming this works.  Why wouldn't you run all photos through something like this as it would improve sharpness and detail right? 

4 years 8 months ago #653063 by Nikon Shooter

Chester Foster wrote: Why wouldn't you run all photos through something like this as it would improve sharpness and detail right? 

NO WAY, Chester!

I only use similar treatment very exceptionally — the resolving
power and properly fine tuned AF are covering my publishing
needs. In certain rare cases, such a tool is of convenience.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653341 by Cory J
How is this different from Topaz Denoise?  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653342 by Nikon Shooter

Cory J wrote: How is this different from Topaz Denoise?  

There are two ways to exclude noise problems:
  1. lower count but large pixel size like in my D3S
  2. extended dynamic range — 14+ stops — that may come in higher end cameras
There is a third possibility, as seen by some, in the OS own
noise reduction system… but I wouldn't count on that.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653655 by H Rocky
How in the world does this expand detail?  Is it just cramming in more pixels and colors into your photos?

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653682 by Cory J
zeros and ones!  Zero and ones my friend. 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #653693 by garyrhook

H Rocky wrote: How in the world does this expand detail?  Is it just cramming in more pixels and colors into your photos?

Um, math and AI. Lots and lots of both.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654038 by Jennifer Krueger
Well I watched more video's this weekend and still lost.  But, ordered it and will install it either today or tomorrow.  I guess we'll see how well it works!  

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #654080 by Patrick G
:beerbang:

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024