Why computer is worked when using Exposure X4?

4 years 6 months ago #659716 by Juan Anthony
I'm new to this software, as I was trying to find alternative to Lightroom.  I like the workflow of things in it.  Just don't like how every time I open it, my MacBook Pro works harder with the computer heating up and fans cranking away. 

Is this just a heavier program to run?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #659977 by Camera Diva
What size are your images or where is your library located?  

At the beginning of time there was absolutely nothing. And then it exploded! - Terry Pratchett
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660006 by ebyelyakov
Alternative to Lr - try Capture One. It is lightweight and fast and does do much more. I moved what 4-5 years ago and Lr is just a bad dream from my past. The C1 comes with 30 days trial (unless they changed something) so it is painless to try.

Where many people stumble is they try to use C1 as Lr unwilling to unlearn-relearn. And well, if fish is judged by its ability to fly it makes a bad bird. C1 has an awesome YouTube channel, make use of it. For anyone coming from Lr I'd recommend watching their webinar called along the lines "Sessions vs Catalogues".

4 years 6 months ago #660080 by garyrhook

ebyelyakov wrote: Alternative to Lr - try Capture One. It is lightweight and fast and does do much more. I moved what 4-5 years ago and Lr is just a bad dream from my past. The C1 comes with 30 days trial (unless they changed something) so it is painless to try.

Good advice, except that the question isn't about LR, it's about Exposure X4. Not the same thing. And suggesting someone change products, when that doesn't really address the question, doesn't seem terribly helpful. IMNSHO, of course.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660085 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Juan

I do not know the software you are referring to - but I am also a laptop user exclusively

My 'offer' to your Q is ... I also find certain software products cause the laptop to chug away vigorously whereas other similar products hum along nicely.

It maybe that your new software is one that 'chugs' :(

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 6 months ago #660094 by ebyelyakov

garyrhook wrote:

ebyelyakov wrote: Alternative to Lr - try Capture One. It is lightweight and fast and does do much more. I moved what 4-5 years ago and Lr is just a bad dream from my past. The C1 comes with 30 days trial (unless they changed something) so it is painless to try.

Good advice, except that the question isn't about LR, it's about Exposure X4. Not the same thing. And suggesting someone change products, when that doesn't really address the question, doesn't seem terribly helpful. IMNSHO, of course.

Must be my wrong interpretation. I read it broadly as the OP was looking for an alternative to Lr and Exposure X4 was a candidate they identified via their search. Whether C1 is applicable to their needs, or already has been disqualified I cannot say. But, in a situation of looking for an alternative, from my own, very subjective and limited experience using Lr, C1 and Exposure over the last many years, I believe mentioning of the C1 is worthwhile. Leaving it to the OP to own their research and determination.

My understanding they already contemplating changing products. Trying something that won't cost them anything to try? Why not. But that's my personal, subjective take.

4 years 6 months ago #660108 by garyrhook

ebyelyakov wrote:

garyrhook wrote: Must be my wrong interpretation. I read it broadly as the OP was looking for an alternative to Lr and Exposure X4 was a candidate they identified via their search. Whether C1 is applicable to their needs, or already has been disqualified I cannot say. But, in a situation of looking for an alternative, from my own, very subjective and limited experience using Lr, C1 and Exposure over the last many years, I believe mentioning of the C1 is worthwhile. Leaving it to the OP to own their research and determination.

My understanding they already contemplating changing products. Trying something that won't cost them anything to try? Why not. But that's my personal, subjective take.

Well, if you want good answers, you need to ask good questions. Right?

Yes, the OP did mention an alternative to LR. Yes, there are worthy alternatives, and yes, C1 is a good one. Most of them have free trials, too. All good. Is exploring options a good thing? I would say yes, and I would not consider that at all subjective.

But since the original question seemed focused on Exposure, that's where I stayed. But I think your input here is good stuff, and hopefully the OP will come back and benefit from it.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024