Best settings for printing own photos?

4 years 6 months ago #660427 by Liem Stailey
When printing your own photos, what are some good settings to keep in mind in camera and from printer?   I just ordered a refurbished Canon Pixma Pro 100. 

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660429 by garyrhook
Define "best"?

Or, IOW, there aren't any.

You'll need ICC profiles for your selected paper, for your printer. You'll need to experiment to see how dark areas render on different papers (i.e. does shadow detail come through in the print?) and whether an image looks like you want it to look on glossy, luster, or matte paper.

If you don't have a colorimeter, well, you can't get predictable results. So you might consider what is necessary to calibrate your monitor.

You don't mention software. I use LR, and my prints come out looking like I expect them to (paper differences aside).

All of this takes a bit of experimentation. But if you want basic, get some Canon luster photo paper, the ICC profile, and get printing.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660435 by Liem Stailey
Sorry this all is new to me.  I have Lightroom.  I don't know what ICC means, but I'm sure Google might help me with that.  

"Best" was just after personal preferences from others.

So I just looked up calibrating monitors.  Are you talking about that thing from Datacolor?  

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660439 by icepics
I have a Canon Pixma, I use the higher setting of 600 dpi instead of 300. The printer heads will move back and forth across the paper more slowly (and squirt more ink/more dots per inch) at 600 than at 300, when it moves faster squirting less ink on the paper. I like the quality better at 600.

My computer automatically set to the same settings as the profile. (I forget offhand what the ICC stands for.) I set mine to print from the computer not from the printer. So I don't remember really having to do much besides choose 600 or 300 dpi (and I saved the default profile/settings at 600).

Often the print looks the same on paper as onscreen, but I tend to use more glossy papers. If anything I might have to brighten it up some.

Sharon
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660500 by garyrhook

Liem Stailey wrote: Sorry this all is new to me.  I have Lightroom.  I don't know what ICC means, but I'm sure Google might help me with that.  

"Best" was just after personal preferences from others.

So I just looked up calibrating monitors.  Are you talking about that thing from Datacolor?  

I appreciate that you're new to all of this. I firmly believe that your best strategy is to educate your self, and that means asking good questions and engaging in discussions.  Like this. So, :thumbsup: .

ICC -> International Color Consortium. Not the Cricket folks. A standardized method for defining how a device or substance handles color. There are, for example, profiles for both monitors and paper.

Yes, I refer to a ColorMunki or Spyder. Pretty comparable, but will help greatly in translating what you see on the monitor (a light-emitting device) to the print (a light absorbing material). Well worth it if you want to print. IMHO, of course.

Yes, "best" is subjective. But I think it's important to consider parameters related to a question so that one can build a context within which one can evaluate possibilities. In this case, "best" means a calibrated display and proper profiles for your printer and paper. Again, IMHO.

Hope this helps. Yeah, google is your friend. Check out  https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/  and https://goodlight.us  for some good stuff.

Sharon, above, makes a good point about letting the computer control the color. Important. Most paper will provide tips on a proper setup.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024