Texture vs Clarity in Lightroom

2 months 3 weeks ago #664107 by Johan Alonso
Good morning.   I came here with two questions today and my other one is when in Lightroom, I've noticed Texture and Clarity kind of do the same thing right?  What is difference between them?  I'm sure Adobe didn't toss to closely related functions in here on accident.  

I did notice that when either is used, you pick up a bunch of noise too.  Well I'm just playing around with things I'm trying to learn.  So appreciate your help. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #664179 by garyrhook
Clarity would be more appropriately known as "micro-contrast". It enhances perceive sharpness.

I'm still not sure what Texture does.

The problem with pushing any of these is that the effect is applied to noise just as much as anything else. So it makes noise appear worse. You can used luminance noise reduction to mitigate that.

In general, don't use much of either. The only case where you want to really push clarity is the Dragan effect, which is only going to be used on certain images. Texture shouldn't be obvious either.

You can use targeted adjustments (brush, radial filter, gradient filter) to apply those effects where you really need them, too. Instead of the images as a whole.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #664190 by Nikon Shooter
At the last seminar I gave on post production following
one on optimising capture consequently, it was demons-
trated that neither is needed to improve a rendition.

A properly expressed DRL and tonal taming, are revealing
all the capture quality falls in its place even without using
extra sharpening — given the gear AF has been fine tuned
in the case of DSLRs.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Nikon Z50 is an entry-level mirrorless camera, but has many high-end features that make it an interesting proposition for many photographers. Get the scoop on this little camera in this Nikon Z50 review.

Jan 15, 2020

In this Sony a7 III vs Nikon D500 head-to-head battle, find out which camera best suits your needs for still photography and video (and your budget, too).

Jan 09, 2020

The Panasonic GH4 might be going on six years old, but it still packs a punch, even in 2020. Learn about all the specs and features of this camera in our Panasonic GH4 review.

Dec 31, 2019

If you have your eye on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, check out its specs, pricing, and availability to be sure you get the best deal.

Dec 26, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With options for just about every budget, this list of the best microphones of 2020 has something for everyone and just about every purpose.

Jan 24, 2020

Buying a used DSLR can be an adventure if you don't know what to look for or where to buy from. Use these tips for buying a used DSLR to get the best deal and the best quality camera possible.

Jan 23, 2020

Using a drone for B-roll is an excellent option for getting interesting footage that enhances your videos. Get a few tips for shooting B-roll with a drone in this tutorial.

Jan 23, 2020

The best backdrops can make your portraits shine with beautiful colors and textures that add interest to the shot. But what are the best photography backdrops? Consult this list to find out!

Jan 22, 2020

There are all types of graduated ND filters, each of which offers specific benefits for your landscape photography. Find out the benefits of these filters in this guide!

Jan 22, 2020

If you're in the market for an inexpensive full frame camera this year, look no further than this list of some cheap full frame mirrorless and DSLR options.

Jan 20, 2020

What photography gear upgrades are you planning for 2020? As you update your kit, bear these essential photography accessories in mind.

Jan 20, 2020

Not sure how to earn more money as a photographer? With these photography business tips, learn how to boost your photography income and improve your bottom line.

Jan 16, 2020