HEIC to replace JPG?

4 years 2 months ago #672226 by Glen Mosley
I thought I read about a camera (non Apple) offering HEIC as one of the file formats for photos, could HEIC replace JPGs in all cameras with a firmware update?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672227 by Nikon Shooter
Technically thinkable,
quite possible,
and will be most beneficial.

The sooner the better but it
would never replace the Raw.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672229 by Glen Mosley

Nikon Shooter wrote: Technically thinkable,
quite possible,

Will be nice that it's recognized by more websites.  When I send photos from my phone to upload online, so many websites don't accept HEIC files, which means I need to go to a converter first. 

BTW which camera has incorporated HEIC files already.  I know I read an article, and though there was one already, but I can't seem to find it.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672236 by Nikon Shooter

Glen Mosley wrote: Will be nice that it's recognized by more websites.

The sense and purpose of the format is to allow the image
to contain more data for possible adjustments but, ultima-
tely, the end result for the web won't bring much.

Glen Mosley wrote: BTW which camera has incorporated HEIC files already.

None of my cameras do and, as I exclusively work with Raw
files, I would get nothing from that new format.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672243 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Glen

Qwik answer matey ... don't think so
Long answer ... JPEG has been around in one form or another for 50 years and serves the media / communications industry very well. I remember visiting the photo dep't of one of our major newspapers back in 1969 and seeing them scan a B&W photo in their equivalent of today's flat bed scanner which had a half-tone screen/mask across the platter, then connect it into the "modem" which beeped in sync with another some 500 miles away and at a speed of 96 bits per second, the image was transmitted over the phone lines and shared city-to-city

They could only do this via that very early form of JPG algorithm

I remember from the 80s, where Wang computers were very proactive along with ALL the other industry players in revising the JPG algorithms for document transfer 'around the paperless-office of the future' - and again ALL the big players in the industry came together to revise the JPG format

A decade ago Adobe offered DNG as a new standard for a common format for RAW images - and it has not been taken up as widely as they had hoped

This format has been created as far as I know, via a modification from the movie equivalent, MPEG and taken up by Apple in their products. Until -or unless- the whole world of camera makers adopt an Apple format with all its inherrent licencing issues, I for one can't see it happening

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 2 months ago #672252 by garyrhook
+1 on Phil's comments, above.

HEIC is a superior compression algorithm, but that's irrelevant for web servers. The only thing that matters is small files and fast transmission/loading. More data doesn't align with those goals.

Therefore, JPG is here to stay. We have PNG for superior images (most servers support it), and I don't see much call for the middle ground. So Apple's interests are for their fan base, nothing more.

You do know that there's a JPEG2000 format, right? Better than JPEG, and no one supports it, either.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #672309 by Uplander
OMG, when you think about all the millions of cameras out there shooting JPG, most older, there is no way that would completely replace JPGs.  

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673289 by Ontherocks

quite possible,

True, but don't the HEIC photos include motion of 1 second or so?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #673454 by garyrhook

Ontherocks wrote:

quite possible,

True, but don't the HEIC photos include motion of 1 second or so?

Um, so? Has that ever been beneficial to you? I've got that on my iPhone, and it's never "saved" any shot. At least, for me. I turned it off.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024