Need photo printer advise

3 years 11 months ago #681721 by David Dettman
Hello, I just signed up here today.  I'm ready to pick up a decent photo printer.  Not even sure where to start with my printer selection process.  I have done some Google searches and found that Canon and Epson seem to have the most photo printers.  I stopped there and figured I would track down a good photo community and just see which printer other photographers are using.

Which are you using and would you buy it again?  

Thank you 

David

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #681726 by garyrhook
Hello, and welcome. Let's get to it:

Budget?
Maximum size of print you require/desire? (Width)
Dye or pigment?

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681730 by Shadowfixer1
Without having the criteria Gary mentioned, I will say that I use the Canon Pixma Pro 100. I've been printing my own stuff for 20 years and it is the best printer I have owned to date. Printing has changes a lot during that time. They sometimes run a rebate on the Pro 100 that make the printer almost free. That is the way I got mine. Epson makes a good printer also but my past experience is they suffer more clogs than the Canon but take that with a grain of salt since my Epson experience was some time ago. I still have the Epson 2200. If you answer some of Gary's query, we can better assist you.
3 years 11 months ago #681733 by David Dettman
Budget under $1250 and as I can see in that price range, 17" wide prints is what I'll get.  Other items, are open to discussion.  Again, this is my first photo printer and just trying to get a sense of what is mostly used by others to help sway my decision. 

Thank you

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #681734 by Shadowfixer1

David Dettman wrote: Budget under $1250 and as I can see in that price range, 17" wide prints is what I'll get.  Other items, are open to discussion.  Again, this is my first photo printer and just trying to get a sense of what is mostly used by others to help sway my decision. 

Thank you

17" wide eliminates most of the field. It's going to be tough to get 17" wide for under $1250 or at least it used to be. Scratch the Pixma Pro 100 recommendation. I did find this. That's a good price after rebate.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191313-R...17_professional.html

There is this if you prefer Epson.
www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1306059-R...tandard_edition.html
3 years 11 months ago #681741 by garyrhook
The current Epson P800 was the replacement for the 3880 (which I have, and am quite happy with..) Lists for $1200, but there's currently a $300 rebate.

My biggest complaint with my printer is its handling of thicker, fine art paper. It's finicky.
Other complaint is the the matte black will clog if left to set for a few weeks. The photo black doesn't appear to have that problem.

Past that, I know someone else with the Pixma and he's very happy.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #681745 by David Dettman
Thank you.  I'm looking at it right now.  Did you get it with the roll attachment?  

3 years 11 months ago #681818 by garyrhook

David Dettman wrote: Thank you.  I'm looking at it right now.  Did you get it with the roll attachment?  

I have the prior model, a 3880. No roll attachment. I now have stacks of boxes of paper. I change papers fairly often, so dealing with a roll would be annoying.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024