Licensing music for personal videos

4 years 1 week ago #682172 by Carter Gledhill
When you are making personal videos that will go on YouTube and want music, are you supposed still license the song?

We have a family YouTube channel, and I'm putting something together special for my wife.  

4 years 1 week ago #682176 by Piechura
Legally yes. Youtube automatically detects music and does what the owner tells them. In some cases, this will be silencing the video. In others, they may put a link to the song on the video (although I'm not sure if this is only done in very popular videos/channels). And some will get blocked in some countries but not others. Because it's all automatic, I've even heard of Youtubers paying for a licence and then having it flagged anyway and losing all of their income from said video. I assume you're wanting a famous song, but if not, you can typically licence a song for a personal video for around $10. If you're monetizing a video, expect to pay more.

Of course there's the question of whether you really need to put it on Youtube in the first place. If it's for your wife, can you not just make it and show it to her?

Or another possibility is to just upload it and hope you get away with it. Some videos seem to fly under the radar, so you might get lucky. You could upload it to another account first as a test and then upload it to your main account if it works.

4 years 1 week ago #682180 by garyrhook
I don't know where the $10 estimate comes from, but using someone else's music requires a 'sync' license. And finding the right entity to get that is a challenge. I think you can also expect to pay quite a bit more, making it not worthwhile for personal videos.

You can license music from Triple Scoop Music, and Incompetech has free stuff.

You put something on YT that uses published music, you can expect it to either be refused immediately, or get taken down soon. 

No one has the right to use someone else's work without permission and/or compensation.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024