do you have the digital photo professional 4 software.

4 years 9 hours ago #683020 by keith1955
Up to now I have only used this software to shrink a photos memory size.
I mentioned somewhere on a forum that I took a lot of photos in monochrome and somebody said I would be better off staying in colour and use the canon software to turn them into monochrome.

Can somebody give me an idiot guide ,  ( step by step ) on how to do this with the software.

Thanks in advance

4 years 9 hours ago #683023 by garyrhook
I think you were misinformed. Why is color "better"?

If you want to create B&W JPGs, then rock on. You don't mention what type of camera you have, but if it's a DSLR, you can probably take RAW+JPG, leave the JPGs in B&W, and still have the RAW file (which isn't color... it's just data... and requires post-processing to make any image, color or otherwise).

That said, do what works for you.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 hours ago #683030 by keith1955
Hi garyhook , I am a newbie to hi tech camera gear , just before virus lockdown I treated myself to a canon 90d and 4 different canon lenses , I had been planning to get them eventually but after loosing a few close friends I thought you never know when your time is up so stuff the cost !

I am experimenting with the different modes and lens but at the moment only in my garden.

As of yet I have not tried raw but as somebody recently said , trial and error only cost time not money.

I am due to go on a " get off auto " course but due to current lockdown that is on hold.

4 years 6 hours ago #683049 by garyrhook
Understood.

Note: RAW and auto are two separate things. The former is about file format, nothing more. The latter is about controlling your camera (and thus exposure).

So, for clarity: you say you're shooting in B&W? Does that mean that you are using a scene (SCN) mode, the "grainy black & white"?

For file format, that's under Image Quality Settings, and is discussed on page 199 of the Advanced User Guide. Again, you can have both file types created, and have that RAW file for later, after you learn more, in case you capture something you wish to revisite. Or not, of course.

There are online courses for getting out of auto mode. I'm a big fan of CreativeLive, and they're always having sales.

The beauty of digital: you've made the investment. Now go shoot.

Photo Comments
4 years 5 hours ago #683053 by 7Wishes
It's a long time since I used Canon digital professional software, but if memory serves, even if you shoot Raw and B&W from the picture style selection menu the software will respect that mode and give you a B&W, software such as Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom will give you a colour interpretation. 
Personally I shoot colour and convert to B&W in Photoshop using Silver Efex Pro, as I find it gives me more options with brightness, midtones, shadows, highlights and HSL etc. 
I wouldn't shoot jpeg for B&W (or colour for that matter, but that's personal preference), all settings are baked in to the file making it less than ideal to work with before you begin to run in to issues. 

3 years 11 months ago #683075 by keith1955
I dont use the grainy black and white under scn , i did try it once though.
The black and white setting is in menu  , camera icon in red , tab 3 and then open picture style

3 years 11 months ago #683157 by KCook
With DPP this will need 4 clicks -

1. Click on the View menu to drop it down.
  2. Click on the menus item Tool palette to launch the Tool palette.
  3. In the Tool palette click on the Color adjustment tab.
  4. Click on the button labeled Monochrome.
You can do this with a color JPG, but a RAW image (which are always color) will give better quality.

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024