Sneak Peeks on Social Media - Frame Mockups

3 years 7 months ago #693073 by daisylynn
I had been sharing photos on social media as a sneak peek. I also shared their online gallery with them, where the photos couldn't be downloaded. This was a mini session, so they were going to pick 5 out of the gallery.

Well, she must have taken a screenshot and cropped, because she started sharing ones that she shouldn't have had download access to. So, it started making me question how I was doing this.

I've had some say not to share until after they choose/purchase, others say use a big watermark. One person suggested frame mockups. I hadn't heard of it before but looked into it. It's interesting and I like the look of them.

So I'm wondering, do any of you use frame mockups for when you're sharing on social media? Does it help your sales? Is that a good option or would you recommend something else?

3 years 7 months ago #693078 by garyrhook
You cannot stop someone from getting an online image, either by slogging through the code for the webpage, or by a screen capture. Which will never look great, but some folks don't care.

You should also never post high resolution images to your customer galleries. I've dropped mine to 960 pixels on the long edge (which would make an acceptable wallet size print).

I heavily watermark some galleries with "PROOF" and my logo in a manner that pretty much makes the image useless for anything except the intention. And yet that still won't deter some folks.

The only way you can avoid this is in-person sales (IPS), using prints. You have 4x6 prints that the customer can look through, and decide what they want. And, of course, the prints are for sale in addition to placing an order.

That said, you can also communicate with the client to clarify that images are not licensed for screen caps or sharing, and certainly not for cropping, nor for any other use until they engagement is complete. Or some such words.

If you don't already have and use a contract, then you might consider getting one, on paper, that has to be signed.

The only reason for proofing is to select the desired images. I'm not sure how a frame will help manage that. But a watermark will.

And I would never share anything on social media that was part of a live sales engagement.

Photo Comments
3 years 7 months ago #693082 by daisylynn
This is all such good information. Thank you!!

I'm assuming the frame mockups were mainly for social media. It's what she referenced when she suggested. I'm not sure.

I had never really thought about waiting to share a sneak peek. My clients love seeing a few right away. But maybe I do need to wait from now on.

Thank you so much for all of this advice and suggestions!

3 years 6 months ago - 3 years 6 months ago #695685 by BryonManning
You can use a watermark or frame to protect your rights. As you see fit. I always do this to protect my articles. Click these for example.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024