Sneak Peeks on Social Media - Frame Mockups

3 years 8 months ago #693073 by daisylynn
I had been sharing photos on social media as a sneak peek. I also shared their online gallery with them, where the photos couldn't be downloaded. This was a mini session, so they were going to pick 5 out of the gallery.

Well, she must have taken a screenshot and cropped, because she started sharing ones that she shouldn't have had download access to. So, it started making me question how I was doing this.

I've had some say not to share until after they choose/purchase, others say use a big watermark. One person suggested frame mockups. I hadn't heard of it before but looked into it. It's interesting and I like the look of them.

So I'm wondering, do any of you use frame mockups for when you're sharing on social media? Does it help your sales? Is that a good option or would you recommend something else?

3 years 8 months ago #693078 by garyrhook
You cannot stop someone from getting an online image, either by slogging through the code for the webpage, or by a screen capture. Which will never look great, but some folks don't care.

You should also never post high resolution images to your customer galleries. I've dropped mine to 960 pixels on the long edge (which would make an acceptable wallet size print).

I heavily watermark some galleries with "PROOF" and my logo in a manner that pretty much makes the image useless for anything except the intention. And yet that still won't deter some folks.

The only way you can avoid this is in-person sales (IPS), using prints. You have 4x6 prints that the customer can look through, and decide what they want. And, of course, the prints are for sale in addition to placing an order.

That said, you can also communicate with the client to clarify that images are not licensed for screen caps or sharing, and certainly not for cropping, nor for any other use until they engagement is complete. Or some such words.

If you don't already have and use a contract, then you might consider getting one, on paper, that has to be signed.

The only reason for proofing is to select the desired images. I'm not sure how a frame will help manage that. But a watermark will.

And I would never share anything on social media that was part of a live sales engagement.

Photo Comments
3 years 8 months ago #693082 by daisylynn
This is all such good information. Thank you!!

I'm assuming the frame mockups were mainly for social media. It's what she referenced when she suggested. I'm not sure.

I had never really thought about waiting to share a sneak peek. My clients love seeing a few right away. But maybe I do need to wait from now on.

Thank you so much for all of this advice and suggestions!

3 years 7 months ago - 3 years 7 months ago #695685 by BryonManning
You can use a watermark or frame to protect your rights. As you see fit. I always do this to protect my articles. Click these for example.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024