simple quick convenient basic editor with option for quality and ease of use

1 year 11 months ago #735775 by buchablichter
Hi,
I am searching a simple photo editor that has the following traits, ideally all in one window:
following editing functions:
- cropping
- turning in increments
- brightness, saturation, contrast, gamma
following setting options:
- overwriting changes to a picture with as least as possible, ideally one klick without getting asked anything nor opening extra windows for a new saving path, name or file extension or any other unneccessary steps
- setting a preset quality of saved photos up to 100%
- quick opening of next photo with one click
- file format .jpeg / .jpg
- resizing
I tested many photo editors, but none so far had all features and I have to stack editors.
The editor is needed to crop pictures, adjust small turning percentages, adjust small changes to brightness, contrast etc..
Many pictures need to be edited one for one by hand as quick as possible, no batch editing intended.
Microsoft 15 years ago had a viewer with editing functions like I am looking for, I was not able to identify the specific software I mean, maybe someone remembers.
I am willing to buy any hardware type and OS needed, but ideally the editor works on PC under Linux or Windows.
Many thanks in advance for your input.
Greetings

1 year 11 months ago #735862 by Gammill
Have you tried Photoshop or Lightroom?  I've found these two handle just about anything I've needed from an editing standpoint.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #735864 by Carter Gledhill
If you want something free, try "Gimp".  

1 year 11 months ago #735865 by Carter Gledhill
BTW you didn't mention which editors you have used, can you expound on which ones you tried?  

1 year 11 months ago #735868 by Crammer
The only editor of microsoft that I have used, was such a PITA and very limited.  Honestly I would just stick with Lightroom and call it a day.  

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #735878 by r1ch
My answers inline in Red

I say One1 Photo Raw. I believe it does all these things.

buchablichter wrote: Hi,
I am searching a simple photo editor that has the following traits, ideally all in one window:
following editing functions:
- cropping
- turning in increments
- brightness, saturation, contrast, gamma
all in one window.
following setting options:
- overwriting changes to a picture with as least as possible, ideally one klick without getting asked anything nor opening extra windows for a new saving path, name or file extension or any other unneccessary steps
On1 has editable export presets. You can tell it, copy to another folder, save as jpg, overwrite original or save it in addition to.  You can change the file name, extension, or save as one format or several strip exif or only certain things.
Once you choose this preset, you don't have to change it and it will pull the same preset up over and over again unless you change it. So click export, ok, and you are done.

- setting a preset quality of saved photos up to 100
That is saved in the export preset above.
- quick opening of next photo with one click
This is complicated only because you choose how you do this. Once it is chosen, it does the same thing every time.
There are 2 modes browsing and edit, browsing which is super fast because it only shows you the original file. Then you can choose to edit the file, same window though. So you have 1 image or multiple images or 1 image with a filmstrip below to scroll left or right.
Edit means you never leave the editing context
If you are in edit it will show a single image, you can have a film strip below it or not and it too is super fast if you are viewing jpg, it is much slower with large raw files. But every image you select you don't have to click edit, because you are in edit. The downside is this. You can see all the images in the film strip below and select any of them or scroll through them using left and right buttons or mouse/slider. But you can see in the filmstrip mode the image whether it is jpg or raw before you click it, and if  it has been edited. If you click an edited image that is raw and has 15 layers, it is not going to be super quick it will be slow(although you can choose render fast, or render accurately which take longer.
I think this would fit what you are asking, whether it be one way or the other. If it is just edits to a single layer, edit is still super fast
- file format .jpeg / .jpg
You can choose either suffix.
- resizing
On1 uses genuine fractals  to do upsizing  (plus a standard resizing, plus you can resize in the export preset and sharpen a well) it is one of the best in the industry, next version gets and AI version of this which will be even better.
I tested many photo editors, but none so far had all features and I have to stack editors.
The editor is needed to crop pictures, adjust small turning percentages, adjust small changes to brightness, contrast etc..
Many pictures need to be edited one for one by hand as quick as possible, no batch editing intended.
Microsoft 15 years ago had a viewer with editing functions like I am looking for, I was not able to identify the specific software I mean, maybe someone remembers.
I am willing to buy any hardware type and OS needed, but ideally the editor works on PC under Linux or Windows.
Many thanks in advance for your input.
Greetings

On1 is a raw editor, all edits are done in raw. But it also is a jpg editor and will do the exact same things. It is an end to end solution operating in raw mode or in jpg.
You can do a file open, single image edit or you can browse and look for a folder, open that folder and go directly to browse or edit mode.
Without instruction if you look to the top right, you find Browse and Edit. In either mode, you will see the filmstrip or the split screen mode in the lower left, don't choose dual mode, that adds windows which you don't want. Be in browse mode to browse your folders just like in windows explorer.
https://www.on1.com/
All the plugins come with On1, you only need to purchase them if you want the to run in another photo editor.
They have a trial that you can test out.

1 year 11 months ago #735883 by Foxy Girl
+1 Lightroom 

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #735895 by r1ch

Gammill wrote: Have you tried Photoshop or Lightroom?  I've found these two handle just about anything I've needed from an editing standpoint.  

I would have hoped he had tried these first and was not satisfied and came here asking for another solution. I know that if you open a raw image in photoshop, you jump into Adobe raw window, then you do your edit, then it jumps to photoshop. This would not meet his requirements of a easy or fast single window editor.

1 year 11 months ago #735897 by r1ch

buchablichter wrote: Microsoft 15 years ago had a viewer with editing functions like I am looking for, I was not able to identify the specific software I mean, maybe someone remembers.

I am using windows 10. If I click on a jpg, my default viewer is Photo. It has built in editor all in one window. It does all the editing you ask for. It has a button at the bottom to save copy or just save which overwrites the original image. If you need to edit 100 images consecutively in windows explorer, you highlight all your jpgs and click open, it will open them in photo, you will see only one image but you will be able to scroll back and forth between all your images, make an edit and move on to the next. This is built into windows 10.

1 year 11 months ago #735955 by r1ch
In case you come back to read this. On1 costs 99 bucks. Coupon Code JIMNIX to save 20%
It has the option for monthly payment but you don't have to take it. The $99 is a one time payment lifetime license.

1 year 11 months ago #736034 by Jessa Layton
Clipping path spam garbage from the last poster.  Reported. 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024