Retouching a lot less : Camera skills better or just lazy?

1 year 5 months ago #745224 by Crammer
Today I hardly spend time in Photoshop or Lightroom.  Not at least as much time as I did 5 years ago.  5 years ago, while I spent more time in post retouching photos, it's not as much as I did 7-10 years ago.  So here is a random cheeky self evaluation thought for you.  Are you getting better behind the camera or just lazier?

I'll leave you and your thoughts alone now :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745230 by the_photoeye
Sounds pretty subjective to me.

Everyone wants to get better pictures, but what is a better picture? In the end, you decide; it's your artwork after all. If you feel that your camera skills are such that every image is perfect as is, then go with it; I have found myself spending more time in Photoshop, not less, with each new technique I learn. From different methods of dodging and burning to better luminosity masks to more pleasing color grading methods and on and on, I keep experimenting and tweaking. Not because I necessarily think that the original was "bad," but because I want to see if it can be better.

1 year 5 months ago #745274 by Uplander
WOW, that question gets you thinking.  I would like to think I've gotten better with my camera and shots, but again as photoeye mentioned, very subjective.  

So I'm just going to say, yes I've gotten better.  

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745276 by Razky

Crammer wrote: Today I hardly spend time in Photoshop or Lightroom. Not at least as much time as I did 5 years ago. 5 years ago, while I spent more time in post retouching photos, it's not as much as I did 7-10 years ago. So here is a random cheeky self evaluation thought for you. Are you getting better behind the camera or just lazier?
I'll leave you and your thoughts alone now :rofl:

Shooting digital about the same as I shoot slides, I've seen little use for photoshopping my images.

1 year 5 months ago #745299 by db3348
For me ,

Mainly a case of laziness ,  particularly becoming bored with the digital process ,  gradually shifting back to emphasis on shooting film again .

but photoeye's comment " Sounds pretty subjective " is also valid .

db3348

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745326 by Sassy Girl
Hmmmmm, perhaps a little less.   I'm only saying that because I would like to think my skills have improved, but I do enjoy post processing, so my time in post while I'm sure that has streamlined, I still spend time in here.

Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745362 by Wyrick Photography
Depends on who you ask! :rofl:

Canon 5d Mark II • Canon 24-105mm F/4.0 • Canon 135mm F/2.0 • Canon 50mm F/1.8 • Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8 • Canon 580ex ii
Photo Comments
1 year 5 months ago #745421 by Dan Lindgren
Well heck, good questions.  Yeah, I would like to think I have improved.  

1 year 5 months ago #745800 by Crammer

db3348 wrote: For me ,

Mainly a case of laziness ,  particularly becoming bored with the digital process ,  gradually shifting back to emphasis on shooting film again .

but photoeye's comment " Sounds pretty subjective " is also valid .

db3348

I'm going to circle back around and after sitting on this question for a few days, agree on the smidge of 'bored' with post work.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024