Best quality external hard drive for photo storage?

13 years 5 months ago #5166 by Monti Leehsu
One more question. I've been storing my photos a combination on my local hard drive and DVD's and would like to have everything one place and NOT on my local hard drive. What is the best quality external hard drive on the market? I'm not looking for the cheapest as I want some piece of mind my photos will be safe and secure.

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5170 by cbartlett800
Well, being that I am a programmer and a geek by trade, I will go with the cheaper ones that I find. I do, however, tend to stick with Western Digital since they have always outlasted any other brand that I have had in the past. I like their passport drives since they are powered by USB, and are quite small, though they are slower to copy/retrieve data because of that.

I would however always say to make multiple copies of all your pictures. I keep all my photos on my local hard drive and once month or so, I copy them over to 2 different hard drives. I have had too many hard drives fail in the past to keep one copy of anything important on them. It tends to start taking up a lot of room, but space is getting so cheep these days that it almost does not matter.

If you are not looking for something portable then I would suggest something like this . That is just the case, and it may seem pricey, but you will have less worry about any one drive failing, as these systems always keep a mirror of each drive. You just have to take into consideration that for every Tera byte of data you will loose about 200-300 GB of data for it to mirror itself, and each drive can be hot swapped in these!

13 years 5 months ago #5180 by Screamin Scott
Consider also storing the photos on an online storage site as well. There are several, mozy.com is one that comes to mind. They charge $3.68 a month for unlimited storage. Unlike external drives & CD's, no danger of damage due to fire (unless you keep them off premises)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5193 by Monster

Screamin Scott wrote: Consider also storing the photos on an online storage site as well. There are several, mozy.com is one that comes to mind. They charge $3.68 a month for unlimited storage. Unlike external drives & CD's, no danger of damage due to fire (unless you keep them off premises)

I agree Mozy.com, then you can access your photos from anywhere.

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #5264 by cbartlett800
Online is nice in that way. I just have never bit the bullet. I also just like the idea of having my back up on me. That is more of my preference then anything.

13 years 5 months ago #5281 by Monti Leehsu
Decision, Decision! Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to look at each of these ideas. Heck I might just do both, never can be safe enough.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024