Took some photos in RAW now can't open them

13 years 5 months ago #6794 by Happy Hour
I have a Nikon D90 that I have been taking photos in JPEG form sense I got this camera. I read online that it's better to take photos in RAW format. So I figured out how to change my settings and took a bunch of photos in RAW format. The problem is I can't open the photos now? Is there some special software needed to open these?

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #6799 by Solstar
I can't speak for Macs but windows requires a codec download to be able to preview the files, though my experience is doesn't do a very good job at representing the picture. Otherwise you will need to process the pictures using your Nikon software or some other software (like Photoshop) to set the parameters and then convert it to a file that your computer can read more easily. Hope that helps.

13 years 5 months ago #6800 by Screamin Scott
What software are you using?. Has it been updated to the latest version?If it's an older copy of Adobe, you might not be able to update ACR (Adobe Camera Raw)...Let me know your software & I can help you

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #6821 by ozman1865
The D90 should of came with an editing program on disc if you had purchased it as a new camera if not you should be able to go to the Nikon site and download the software. As Screaming Scott stated with the adobe issue you could possibly get the codecs from the adobe site so it can be used with raw. I personally shoot both Raw and Jpeg for all my shots. I do all my editing from Raw and use the Jpegs for quick post of pictures if it will take a bit of time for me to process the Raw shots. From my point of View raw is the best as you are not limited by what the camera says but you can create the picture the way you need too. Size is one of the downsides though but I still feel it is worth it. Hang in and and get it worked out you will love working with raw and will probably not return back to Jpeg once you get use to it. Good luck

Jeff

13 years 5 months ago #6995 by Happy Hour
You know what, I have been trying to open these on a new lap top that I bought that didn't have the software on it that came with the camera. I tried downloading them on the original computer and there was no problem opening them. Wheew!!

Thanks for the help!

Photo Comments
13 years 5 months ago #7019 by ozman1865
good deal... have fun using the Raw pics hope you will leave a bit of feedback on how they turn out compared to the Jpg. I think you will love the capabilities that you will have with the raw. one small note make sure you get your photos saved in a small enough size that you can post them easily. I thought when I first started my editing of Raw that I was doing fine in size to post up to the web and well the learning curve was a bit longer than I had thought but noticed over time I was able to do the edits and get it saved so I had good pictures yet and could still get them up to most sites. I am currently going back through the first couple months shoots and resizing them just so I can post them. good luck and again glad to hear you got it all worked out

Jeff

13 years 5 months ago #7078 by PhotoAl
I use Adobe Lightroom 3 and Photoshop (CS3 and CS5) and always shoot in RAW. Both LR and PS have RAW converters that will read RAW files from most DSLRs and many medium format cameras. Adobe Elements also reads RAW files. I am not sure about earlier versions of Photoshop as I cannot remember how long the D90 has been around, a number of years I think; more than enough time for converters to be updated. I have a D70 and D700 the RAW files of which are read by Lightroom 2 and CS3. Adobe frequently updates their converters for both LR and PS; these can be downloaded and installed in the appropriate host. Check the Adobe website to find answers to compatibility of converters with older versions of PS. If you use a Mac, Aperture also reads RAW files. You do not need to use Nikon NX.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024