Copyright Watermarks: Good or Bad?

13 years 4 months ago #7935 by Todd Frederick
Occasionally I notice in photo forum galleries and albums that the photographer has superimposed a big copyright watermark across the front of the image I suppose to protect it from internet theft, but, to me it seriously hinders my viewing and appreciation of the image. I don't like the watermarks.

Any thoughts on this?

13 years 4 months ago #7938 by Nod
Well, it does keep folks from stealing your images. I usually just put one in the lower left corner and don't really care if it's stolen or not. It does make it harder to appreciate the shot though as you said.

13 years 4 months ago #7939 by Foxy Girl
Oh I definitely agree with you, I've seen some images that have it imposed right across the center, it is so hard to appreciate the photo.

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7947 by FMVPhotography
I have struggled with this issue also. As I tend to use social networking site to showcase my portfolio I have had issues with unauthorised downloading etc... I originally went with a black border with my company name and copyright on the border rather than the photograph - although it was so easy to crop the image and therefore the watermark I had to try a new tactic.

I now use a transparent bar with my watermark within it across the whole image, but I place EVERY watermark myself - I don't use an automatic software package which I think generally ruins the batch of photos. Why not take a look at my portfolio in my profile and see what you think?

13 years 4 months ago #7952 by Screamin Scott
As long as you post images no larger than 800 pixels on the long side, no one will be able to print anything much larger than a 4 X 6 print of the image....Not large enough to submit to a stock agency or sell to a magazine, etc...I don't like the copyright splashed across the image either...Mine, if I use one is on the edge...If someone wants to use one of my images for a screen saver for their personal use, I'm fine with that ...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #7955 by FMVPhotography

As long as you post images no larger than 800 pixels on the long side, no one will be able to print anything much larger than a 4 X 6 print of the image....

I agree, but if you are showing images of family portraits/weddings you have taken etc I find that people are quite happy with 6x4s for frames, I've even seen awful pix-elated blown up images on peoples walls to get around purchasing the print from the photographer. Sad but true!

13 years 4 months ago #7980 by BWright
good and bad just as everyone has stated.

i've seen people take others art work and print it out horribly and hang it on the wall. Then say that photo was done by ...that my be true but the photographer did not do the print.

13 years 4 months ago #8308 by Tuscany
I think there is a "tasteful" way of watermarking photos and then you have the people that just over do it. I've seen some photos where there are multiple watermarks in it. :dry:

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #8441 by ShadowWalker

Tuscany wrote: I think there is a "tasteful" way of watermarking photos and then you have the people that just over do it. I've seen some photos where there are multiple watermarks in it. :dry:

Well either way, it's the photographers comfort level that makes this decision. If my work was good enough that people wanted to take, I would want to make sure I was covered.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #10980 by TiaMia
I like copyrights but only if it's in the corner. In the end, if someone wants to steal the image, they will. But I like to know who took that photo, or who create the graphic. If I like the work, I want to know who did it.

13 years 3 months ago #13107 by photobod
FMVPhotography you are so right I have had whole galleries of wedding photos lifted from my website and plastered on Facebook and the like, they are low resolution images but these idiots dont seem to mind, but I do cos its my work and I only want lhigh res images to be displayed, I dont even charge high prices , so I have had to start putting my web site name on the image, as you say individually so I can place it strategically.

[/size][/b][/color]

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

Attachments:

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024