I would like to try HDR photography

13 years 3 months ago #12790 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

xmasforall wrote: With Photoshop CS5 you can use older single photos and create them into HDR.

Are you talking about exposure blending with smart objects or going into RAW editor and dragging saturation, contrast, fill light, recovery all the way up and playing with brightness?

In Photoshop CS5 Extended there is an HDR section to create single images into HDR.

Yes, but its kind of terrible.

IMHO all "auto" HDR stuff is crap... unless you fluke some good setting... then it's a freak-of-photographic-nature.

You do settle with automation.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13349 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

xmasforall wrote: With Photoshop CS5 you can use older single photos and create them into HDR.

Are you talking about exposure blending with smart objects or going into RAW editor and dragging saturation, contrast, fill light, recovery all the way up and playing with brightness?

In Photoshop CS5 Extended there is an HDR section to create single images into HDR.

IMHO all "auto" HDR stuff is crap... unless you fluke some good setting... then it's a freak-of-photographic-nature.

No it keeps me up at night. ;)
13 years 3 months ago #13358 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

:O

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13370 by Stealthy Ninja

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

:blink:
13 years 3 months ago #13374 by Scotty
:dry: :lol:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13377 by Stealthy Ninja
B) :( :) :cheer: ;) :P :angry: :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :lol: :sick: :silly: :blink: :blush: :blush: :kiss: :woohoo: :side: :S :evil: :whistle: :pinch:

Scotty wrote: :dry: :lol:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

13 years 3 months ago #13392 by Scotty
:pinch: :whistle: :evil: :S :side: :woohoo: :kiss: :oops: :blush: :lol:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: B) :( :) :cheer: ;) :P :angry: :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :lol: :sick: :silly: :blink: :blush: :blush: :kiss: :woohoo: :side: :S :evil: :whistle: :pinch:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Photo Comments
13 years 3 months ago #13423 by Stealthy Ninja
What's this thread about again?

Scotty wrote: :pinch: :whistle: :evil: :S :side: :woohoo: :kiss: :oops: :blush: :lol:

Stealthy Ninja wrote: B) :( :) :cheer: ;) :P :angry: :unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :lol: :sick: :silly: :blink: :blush: :blush: :kiss: :woohoo: :side: :S :evil: :whistle: :pinch:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Scotty wrote:

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Scotty wrote:

13 years 3 months ago #13938 by Dan Dangerfield

cwightmanphotos wrote:

Stealthy Ninja wrote:

Tarb1968 wrote: Won't Photomatix do this? I think so.

Yes, but...

I tried Photomatix back when I was experimenting with HDR and IMHO it's a horrible program that really easily makes a photo suck. IMHO the auto ISO feature in photoshop is better.

IMHO what Scotty said.

BTW HDR is really easy to overdo so be careful.

I have Photomatix. I like it. In the end, it's up to the person on how they post process photos. I use Photomatix for HDR, I also use Photoshop to make a single image into HDR. I also think HDR photos is something people either hate or like. People can either make good HDR photos or truly suck at it. Personally some of mine, I like and some of them...suck. It also depends on the subject.

In photography, the subject can make or break the photo.

Here is a link to my HDR photos.
www.crystalwightman.com/hdrimages

Can you tell which ones are from Photomatix and which ones are from Photoshop?
Overall, what do you think of my HDR photos?

By the way, the above questions are not just direct toward Ninja, but anyone who wants to answer.

Nice shots!

So how are you guys making HDR shots from Photoshop? Anyone have a few bullet points to share? :woohoo:

13 years 3 months ago #13983 by crystal

Dan Dangerfield wrote: Nice shots!

So how are you guys making HDR shots from Photoshop? Anyone have a few bullet points to share? :woohoo:

Thank you Dan.

If I make an HDR image from a single photo, I just use the HDR toning in Photoshop. It's a simple step to choose the HDR toning you like. Photoshop also has an HDR merging where you can merge your individual images into one HDR photo.

I use Photomatix to create my HDR photos.

Creating HDR photos is easy when using any HDR photo editing software. Just import the photos and the program layers the photos together. The hard part you (as the photographer) needs to work on is taking the HDR photo the program created and adjusting the sliders to make the photo what you like.

Everyone has their own taste when it comes to HDR images.
Overall I enjoy looking at HDR, if the HDR was done right. Otherwise, it can be a bad photo to look at.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024