Lightship and Lighthouse

12 years 6 months ago #152682 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: I'm going on a tangent for a min....

It's never easy critiquing a stranger (people on forums present their own personas, not their reality). We don't know how personal the work is to them. You can sort of guess if it's a picture of their child (or grandchild) that it means something special, and a "slam" on the work would likely be taken to heart. But sometimes even a landscape (or a seascape) is "personal".

I don't think anyone here is against you David (though there are many against me). ;)

My own criticisms of others are meant to help. I want everyone to be great (and successful). We all seem to get along better that way. Plus, producing good photo work is good for our profession as a whole.

Matthew :)

Now back to your stranded boat picture....

I have never felt anyone was against me on PT Matthew, my only problem is I am oversensetive and sometimes read things the wrong way but I am quick to apologise if I know I am wrong, I dont think anybody would be against you if you could come down a peg or two, your advice is always good advice its just your tone that always comes across as belittling, its what I said in a previous post all you need is to find some humility and friends would soon appear.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #152698 by MLKstudios
I'm not here to make friends, David. I'm here to teach.

While it might appear I'm trying to sell you something, it isn't about the money to me. I have to charge something because the world is that way -- We live in a material world.

But what I'm trying to get through to you (and others) is the tools we pros use aren't that difficult to learn. And there is now an online industry built on n00bs idea that it's something difficult, or requires a marketing degree. That's simply NOT true! And they are robbing you.

What you need to know takes about 6 months to learn. Then you CAN be a confident (in your skills) professional photographer who makes a good living and does honor to our profession.

That's my main concern. If I make friends, that's fine too. But I have to present myself as knowing things you don't, or why would you believe you could learn something valuable from me.

One last thing is, many get into photography as an artistic outlet, then they make a few good pics, and see ads for how to make $$$$ with their cameras. That's fine, and you can make a lot in this biz. But once you've sold more McDonalds hamburgers, you will eventually get to where you want to make something meaningful. That's the 2nd 100K images you will make. Inspiring you to get THERE is what I'm all about.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #152884 by Bob Eaton
That`s ok.

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!
12 years 6 months ago #152889 by MLKstudios
Bob,

Did you see the George Harrison film by Martin? Was on HBO this week.

Maybe rent it if you missed. It's good.

:)

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 6 months ago #153041 by Scotty
Bob, thanks for sharing the shot.

I actually didn't know these boats existed until this thread.

Good stuff.

Glad to see more film photographers on here.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob Eaton
12 years 6 months ago #153171 by photobod

MLKstudios wrote: I'm not here to make friends, David. I'm here to teach.

While it might appear I'm trying to sell you something, it isn't about the money to me. I have to charge something because the world is that way -- We live in a material world.

But what I'm trying to get through to you (and others) is the tools we pros use aren't that difficult to learn. And there is now an online industry built on n00bs idea that it's something difficult, or requires a marketing degree. That's simply NOT true! And they are robbing you.

What you need to know takes about 6 months to learn. Then you CAN be a confident (in your skills) professional photographer who makes a good living and does honor to our profession.

That's my main concern. If I make friends, that's fine too. But I have to present myself as knowing things you don't, or why would you believe you could learn something valuable from me.

One last thing is, many get into photography as an artistic outlet, then they make a few good pics, and see ads for how to make $$$$ with their cameras. That's fine, and you can make a lot in this biz. But once you've sold more McDonalds hamburgers, you will eventually get to where you want to make something meaningful. That's the 2nd 100K images you will make. Inspiring you to get THERE is what I'm all about.

Matthew you talk to me as though I am an amatuer who know nothing, I have been in this industry as long as you have, I am a professional photographer who has made a substantial living for years, its only the last two years that I have been unable to work due to my spine deciding to collapse at the base, now I have had my back scaffolded up, the physios are helping me to regain strength and flexibility, once I am back at work next year I will continue to do well in photography because I am well respected with a good reputation, I dont need you to save me or teach me anything as I quite simply dont like your methods and as you say, you could be one of us, I dont want to become "one of us" whatever that is, I love my job and I love this forum and I AM here to make friends, but I still say it as it is, if someones photographs are not good I have always said so and likewise if someones photographs are good, I do not spread B/S as you intimated and never would, so stop trying to get through things to me that I dont need getting through as I already know.
I am not having a rant or getting upset this is simply me saying it as it is Matthew.

www.dcimages.org.uk
"A good photograph is one that communicate a fact, touches the heart, leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it. It is, in a word, effective." - Irving Penn

12 years 6 months ago #153429 by Stealthy Ninja
Must be a dangerous place to warrant a lightship and a lighthouse.

Now talking about dangerous places.

I applogise to the OP for how this thread kinda got personal, these things happen sometimes. As it is obvious to see certain measures have taken place to ensure this sort of thing isn't such a common situation. :whistle:
12 years 4 months ago #173683 by Bob Eaton
There were two Nantucket lightships commissioned. One was rammed and sunk with the loss of all hands!!!!! This one was the replacement!!!! :thumbsup:

Nothing is Beatleproof!!!!!!!!!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024